Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camera to complement the ZWO SeeStar

Giles_B

Having been lucky enough to get a ZWO Seestar delivered a short while ago, I can now see how imaging can really add to my experience of astronomy.

I'm now thinking about how the right camera to complement the Seestar and act as a stepping stone to "deeper" imaging in future. 

The SeeStar uses a Sony IMX 462 colour sensor. I was wondering if a mono camera based on the same chip - the ZWO Asi462mm - would be a complementary piece of equipment? My primary intention is to image solar system objects - the sun with an 80mm f12.5 refractor / a 60mm Daystar Ha scope on a Star adventurer, and the planets with my VX10 10" dob, which has an equatorial platform.

I'd also like to experiment with imaging some DSOs - I'm expecting broadly similar results to the SeeStar, but expect to add something by using a mono camera for extra sensitivity, a range of objective sizes of the various scopes above (plus potentially a celestron 130mm Newtonian if I can find a better focuser for it). I'd see this as a stepping stone to getting a more suitable imaging scope, camera etc. further down the line.

Is the ASI462mm a good choice for this plan? I'd rather stick with ZWO because I've just bought a Asiair, but I'd be interested in your advice about my expectations of the ASI462mm and whether there are other or better intermediate solutions I should consider?

I don't think the small sensor will do you any favours, it's only 5.6 X 3.2mm, and paired with the focal lengths of your optics you will be cropped in even more. Smaller sensors can also be prone to more amp glow across the image due to the small area (it certainly affects the 224 when I tried it, but you can get results with this one too).

With the mono you'd also have to provision for filters, I'm guessing planetary imaging isn't much fun without an electronic filter wheel either.

It's difficult getting a camera which works well with solar system, solar and DSO. Solar usually benefits from mono, planetary is possible taking into consideration of the EFW, DSO is your oyster but as mentioned FOV may be an issue. It's worth checking out an online FOV calculator to assess this more (Telescopius/astronomy.tools).

The one camera which I did have which ticked the planetary and DSO box was the 485MC, the 585 is the current model. It has small pixels but your large aperture dob would have the light gathering to feed those pixels. The 533 is also popular. Solar might need its own mono camera (I use a 290, also have the option of the 183 but the latters FPS will be a hindrance as it's a high res camera).

I have the ASI462MC which I bought as a planetary camera.  I have used it on deep space objects, mainly planetary nebulae, where it works quite well (there is little or no amp glow), but the field is restricted, and if DSOs are the primary aim a camera with more pixels would suit better.   Check the FOV with your intended scope if you intend to image the Sun or Moon with the MM version.

As for whether mono or colour is best, the colour version works well and saves all that bother with filter wheels and extra processing. 

The ASI462MC (unlike the MM) is a non-current model, BTW.

I tried out my 102mm f5 achro with a dual band light pollution filter and the ASI462MC as a potential Seestar-beater - see the EEVA Reports thread.

13 hours ago, Elp said:

I don't think the small sensor will do you any favours, it's only 5.6 X 3.2mm, and paired with the focal lengths of your optics you will be cropped in even more. Smaller sensors can also be prone to more amp glow across the image due to the small area (it certainly affects the 224 when I tried it, but you can get results with this one too).

With the mono you'd also have to provision for filters, I'm guessing planetary imaging isn't much fun without an electronic filter wheel either.

It's difficult getting a camera which works well with solar system, solar and DSO. Solar usually benefits from mono, planetary is possible taking into consideration of the EFW, DSO is your oyster but as mentioned FOV may be an issue. It's worth checking out an online FOV calculator to assess this more (Telescopius/astronomy.tools).

The one camera which I did have which ticked the planetary and DSO box was the 485MC, the 585 is the current model. It has small pixels but your large aperture dob would have the light gathering to feed those pixels. The 533 is also popular. Solar might need its own mono camera (I use a 290, also have the option of the 183 but the latters FPS will be a hindrance as it's a high res camera).

Thanks - looking at the FOV simulator I'd thought the small pixel size of the 585MC would make it a poor choice - even at 5x Barlow Saturn is a bit lost at 1200mm focal length. It's also a bit outside my budget, but maybe I should reconsider - presumably even a small image at a high pixel count contains a lot of information?

The VX10 can also only do equatorial for around 1 hour before needing to be reset, so I'd seen it primarily as a planetary scope (albeit the SeeStar has opened my eyes to what can be achieved with relatively short exposures), Hopefully I have in the 130mm Newt something small enough to sit on the Star Adventurer for longer exposures (I have a better focuser lined up, just need to 3D print something to mount it on). Presumably I wouldn't need a light bucket like to VX10 to get the most out of the 585MC? 

@Cosmic Geoff The "primary" aim is really solar system - the DSO itch is scratched by the SeeStar - but I'd like something that would allow some experiments with DSOs, and something that would allow solar. Maybe that isn't possible and I need three cameras 😲. It's a bit tricky deciding from the manufacturers info, because this often claims a camera ticks a few boxes.

Interesting to see your experiments with imaging M1 - this is really what I had in mind - something with different limitations to the SeeStar to compare and contrast.

To give you an idea this is Jupiter with the 485mc at over 3000mm FL via my C6 and 2.5x PM (image has been cropped) I didn't image it long enough due to clouds rolling in:

Jupiter-08-12-22-doimg-Copy_011334.thumb.jpg.7c4a002f73bbb28a25dcca967e43185d.jpg

And with widefield optics a DSO target which is relatively large compared to most targets:

M31AndromedaGalaxy-06-08-22-doimg-Copy_023750.thumb.jpg.f7b05bc2de39596e950d4a52a80da6cb.jpg

Edited by Elp
  • Thanks 1