NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using Laser pointer for orientation

Leonid

Hi all!

Not sure where to ask this.

Basically I tried using Level3 laser pointer to orientate my optics in the night sky for framing. Back home where I live I kinda hope its not a problem and I will be able to talk myself out of any questions from law enforcement etc IF anyone comes to ask or report my activity. My imaging sessions are away from large settlements in the field, away from the main airport obviously at night, and the actual use time of the laser is short, a few minutes total untill I get my framing right.

However, the weather where I live is overcast most of the year, and it is getting frustrating. Thus I am planning a trip to say Spain (Canaries) to enjoy a clear crisp night sky.

Now the question is: should I reconsider using Laser pointer during my sessions? Anyone has experinece with this?

Thanks

Edited by Cornelius Varley
Text colour removed

I've used a laser sight for observing for years.  However, I'm in Texas, not the UK, so I think folks are a lot more relaxed about such issues here.  Unless you're aiming it at police helicopters or into the cockpits of landing airplanes from the end of the runway, I haven't heard of any issues.  They're also pretty common at outreach events to point out constellations in the sky.  I just listen and look for passing planes before I light it up to be on the safe side.

Typical 5 mW laser pointers cease to be a distraction hazard beyond about 2 miles or about 10,000 feet.  In other words, unless you live directly under or adjacent to an airport landing or takeoff flight path, laser pointers don't pose much of a threat to random planes at high altitude passing overhead that you can neither see nor hear.

Laser pointers could be a hazard to low flying helicopters, so be cognizant of their presence and refrain from using them until they are long gone.  All it takes is one goon with a laser pointer at a star party misusing it to get them banned for everyone.

Louis, thank you for the reply.

I guess my concern is for the specific place namely the Canary Islands, since there are space observatories there. I just think that maybe laser might interfere with their observations.

I did not have issues at home so far, but to be honest I only used the laser once during imaging session so far.

Just wondering if someone maybe visited the Canaries for this specific reason.