Extragallactic nebula NGC 604 with small scopes

Nik271

37 minutes ago, globular said:

I didn't spot in your sig that you already had this filter - definitely worth a go with it.

I would say that imaging filters tend to have narrower bands with lower transmission than visual filters. So you'll need more aperture and bigger exit pupils to compensate.

I suspect the dimness of this target in particular might be challenging for the L-Extreme (with around 90% transmission) while a good visual OIII (around 99% transmission and wider band) will let more of the precious light through. 

Try what you have first though, naturally.  It might work well.  (good shout @Ratlet)

@globular @Ratlet @John Thanks for all the suggestions/advice guys! I'm going to experiment with what filters I already have and go from there. My biggest aperture/fastest F-ratio is my 200/1000 newt. reflector at F5, so aperture wise I'm ok'ish, I think. Time will tell! 

Kindest Regards to you all!

Wes.

• Like 1