NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M57 Ring Nebula

powerlord

A target that takes some fiendish skills in capture and processing to get great results. As can be seen from my attempt below, skills I am lacking.

Attempt made with 200pds, asi2600 and L-ultimate. I can at least, make out the 2 internal stars. And there's an outer halo, albeit the wrong colour...hmm.

Oh well. I didn't expect miracles as I only shot 1 hour of 30 second subs. Any longer subs were blowing out the core, and I didn't want to waste the whole night on something with a low chance of success. I dunno - will maybe try again sometime.

Even with the results below, it look a fair bit of tweaking in Siril with GHSTs to get the outer faint stuff and the massively bright core to come out together.

M57-Ring.thumb.jpg.a32b84e2e52e23869c0b2979650bb824.jpg

• Like 14

Good going on a tiny target. Impressive.

23 hours ago, Albir phil said:

often wonder what is the correct colour in many DSO its down to personal preference really 🤗

If you are shooting in RGB, rather than colour mapping in narrowband, there is a right colour, at least in a reasonably broad sense. It can be checked by looking at your background, which should be about equal in RGB, and your stars, which should match the astrophysics of their spectral class.

I think that, in this image, the colours are a little out in a consistent way, with the reds too yellow and the blues too cyan. I would guess at this arising from too high a value in the greens, perhaps because of the filter. I haven't used this one.

Olly

It should be the opposite - too little green. Since I just did a basic scnr on it near the end to strip the green out the background, and just let it strip it out the nebula too. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on this tbh - didn't seem worth it.