Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

7 Hours on the Veil Nebula in wideband

powerlord

The same night the 200pds was imaging Pickering's Triangle in NB, the redcat and another asi2600 was shooting the whole Veil Nebula in wideband. With 40% moon, it was not ideal, but it was far enough away to not seem to impact it much. I've shot Veil many times before, but never for such a long time in broadband, so it was nice to see some dust and dimmer features coming out. I also had to restart the edit when I realised I'd captured a galaxy on the right, and cropped half of it off the first time - so I restarted from scratch and kept it in - I like how it's just sitting in that valley of dust.

I tried to maximise my subs for this more than I would usually - I've been doing that more often with broadband recently - maybe overflowing the wells of the brightest stars, but managing to get more faint details? These were 5 min subs - 7 hours of em.

Editing wise - lovely as they are - on shots like this the stars just take over  - there's just so many of em. So I applied some curves, luminosity layering, etc to try and find a happy medium.

Veil.Redcat-wideband.thumb.jpg.fd04c2842bd24dc2802b569fc4652bf5.jpg

• Like 11