NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

An Andromeda galaxy you've probably never seen before

wimvb

Unlike its closer cousin, you can count the images of this galaxy on one hand, even if you include professional images. In all fairness, it is very easy to overlook this galaxy, since it isn't much brighter than the molecular clouds that surround it. It is about 30 Mly distant.

Ugc 12632 (PGC 71596) is a spiral galaxy in the constellation of Andromeda. It is part of a group of galaxies, together with ngc 7640 and ug 12588 ( https://www.astrobin.com/a8ot9h/ )

Technical details:

19 hours 48 minutes integration time, of which about 8 hours L and 12 hours RGB.

Telescope: SW 190MN

Camera ASI294MM with Optolong RGB filters

Processed in PixInsight

ugc12632_LRGB_v3.thumb.jpg.3975a0dbe5b1a671823f5ad99a089cfa.jpg

Edited by wimvb
fixed stars. Thanks, Göran
  • Like 41

1 hour ago, Dan_Paris said:

I really love this picture of a rarely imaged galaxy in a rather spectacular setting. Well done!

Just now, mackiedlm said:

What Dan said!! Brilliant.

Thanks guys. Very much appreciated

The H-alpha signal after 30 minutes (7 exposures before the clouds put a stop to it). Faint doesn't even start to describe it, but with another 10 hours or so, I should be able to combine it with the RGB data. This is just integrated, inverted and stretched. Image calibration with darks only.

H_alpha__5hr.thumb.jpg.4636f924f4298925128e9c8126e3b37d.jpg

• Like 1

Really outstanding Wim! I know you had to fight to find openings between clouds for this one. Very few know about it or seen an image of it, and no one has seen it llke this before.

Cheers Göran 

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, gorann said:

Really outstanding Wim! I know you had to fight to find openings between clouds for this one. Very few know about it or seen an image of it, and no one has seen it llke this before.

Cheers Göran 

Thank you, Göran, for your kind words.

• Like 1