Piggybacking camera attachment

Bugdozer

I am considering trying piggybacking my camera on my Celestron 5SE in order to capture wider field views. I know there is a specific piggyback mount made by Celestron that screws onto the top of the scope, but I understand it can also be possible to mount the camera onto the telescope's dovetail bar. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice on either of these options, or indeed any other methods of mounting the camera?

I have one of these to mount my camera onto my C6 SCT-

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/celestron-piggyback-mount-for-nexstar-5-6-and-8-se-telescopes.html

Avoids the issue of trying to do up a bolt through the dovetail as there doesn't look to be a great deal of room between the bar and the telescope?

Appologies- just re read your post and you are aware of the piggy back mount

Edited by Swoop1

On 17/10/2023 at 14:57, Swoop1 said:

I have one of these to mount my camera onto my C6 SCT-

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/celestron-piggyback-mount-for-nexstar-5-6-and-8-se-telescopes.html

Avoids the issue of trying to do up a bolt through the dovetail as there doesn't look to be a great deal of room between the bar and the telescope?

Appologies- just re read your post and you are aware of the piggy back mount

After a bit of research, I am wary of that attachment. Firstly, a large number of reviews say it renders their finderscope useless by raising it up too high. Secondly, there's a worrying amount of reviews describing it cracking as they screw it on. It sounds like Celestron have made it from nasty snappy plastic. 

So I am pursuing a non-invasive DIY option which I will detail in the appropriate section if it works! 

You can simply mount a finder dovetail to the bottom of the camera and place it in the finder saddle? Does the scope have a provision to attach two finder saddles to the OTA so you can continue to use a finder scope if needed? On my C6 I have two, and usually use a Rigel Quikfinder velcroed to the front of the OTA if doing visual (I find most default finders not very good optically) as it sits flush and square against the front moulding part.

Edited by Elp