NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sadr and Crescent nebula HOO from OSC

Icesheet

This is a reprocess of a previous image I posted here in a pseudo SHO palette. I couldn't get a satisfactory result in HOO previously but with some help from scripts in PixInsight I am able to produce something more pleasing to my eye at least. However, I'm not sure if the balance (Ha/ OIII) is right and wondering if anyone can comment. Most images I see in this are are more dominated by the Ha signal and don't seem to have as much OIII as I have (just to clarify it’s not a lot of OIII, basically the light shades of blue/green around the crescent nebula). Is this right or is there something happening at the colour calibration stage or elsewhere? 

Tak FS60 CB with ASI2600MC

30x300s with L-extreme

20x180s RGB

SadrHOO.thumb.jpg.83cc2fd7707ebc12f047dddb5f9f047d.jpg

Edited by Icesheet
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Icesheet said:

However, I'm not sure if the balance (Ha/ OIII) is right and wondering if anyone can comment.

SCNR green seems to work in reducing the greenish background and makes many of the OIII specks pop out a bit more in the image, but it makes a fairly blue background at least on this JPEG. Try running SCNR green at an earlier stage in the process, such as before stretching or after a first mild stretch?

Dont know if you have Photoshop but that's where i would finalize the colourpalette by adjusting the levels close to the end of the process. You could also attempt to boost the blue channel with a curve to give it more oomph if you want to.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Icesheet said:

I thought running SCNR might actually remove some of the OIII signal. I’ll definitely give that a go when I try again. Will also see what I can do in photoshop although I haven’t used that in ages. Thanks 😊

Yes, that was my thinking when processing an image of the crescent nebular recently. I applied a range mass and only applied scnr to the background. That seemed to help. 

• Thanks 1