Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Full moon with 16x70

Nyctimene

Just came in from a 30 minutes Lunar session with the APM MS 16x70 ED, having repeated another session two days ago - full moon was yesterday. Despite some haze and high cirrus clouds passing by, I got astonishingly good views. The different tints of the lunar maria floors were distinct, as were the large crater ray systems of Copernicus, Kepler and Tycho. E of Grimaldi and Riccioli, I spotted the small craters Lohrmann A (12 km), Grimaldi C (9.3 km) and Damoiseau E (13.6 km) as a line of three bright spots. Reiner Gamma could be made out, even it's "tail". Sinus Iridum gave a great view; and S of Promontorium Laplace, the two craters Helicon (24 km) and Le Verrier (20 km) showed faintly. To my surprise, even the tiny crater Helicon B with just 5.4 km diameter, was visible - with a 16x magnification!  In Mare Imbrium, I spotted the mountains M.recti, Teneriffe, Spitzbergen,  Pico and Piton. In M. Fecunditatis, Langrenus was distinct. I got glimpses of  the double crater Messier/Messier A, but not of the ray system. All in all, very pleasing views with the excellent 16x70, tack sharp, with almost no chromatic aberration (I had to look for it), relaxed viewing even with glasses. Added a Manfrotto video fluid head and a tripod with center crank column (very important!), I'm glad with this grab-and-go set (under 5 kg).

Many migrating birds due South crossing the moon disc, flying fast - and twice another winged creature, with a zig-zag movement pattern, very small, I'd guess a high flying bat (-or a halloween harbinger - ?  ;-))

Thanks for reading

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 8

Hello Nyctimene.

You appear very happy with your APM 16x70 ED

When I look at the moon with my 7 x 50 s I find the glare of the full moon uncomfortable.

I believe that your APM 16 x 70 do not have filter threads.

I wonder how the moon glare is with the APM 16 x 70 as I am thinking of buying a pair?

The APM 16 x 70 ED is on my short list for a new set of binoculars.

Thank you.

6 hours ago, Merkhet said:

I believe that your APM 16 x 70 do not have filter threads.

I wonder how the moon glare is with the APM 16 x 70 as I am thinking of buying a pair?

Hello, Merkhet,

you are right - there are no filter threads in the APM 16x70 MS ED; the only downside I've found up to now. So, no dimming moon filters (no problem for me, as the full moon's glare is IME very well tolerable), but likewise no narrowband  (UHC, O III) filters, that would be fine for extended DSO's.

All in all, the 16x70 binos have been my best astro buy during the last ten years. I was somewhat concerned about the individual focusers (had only central focuser binos up to now), but totally unfounded. All the adjustments are running smooth, but with enough tightness/resistance, and it's easy to find the "snap" focus. Flat field, star images sharp for more than 90% of the field of view. Vivid colours, almost no chromatic aberration (only very bright objects, e.g. lunar limb). Very good eye relief, no "kidney beaning" etc. Lightweight and rugged.

It's a real joy to use the 16x70, just look and forget the rest! (the same applies to daytime use, which can be addictive with this Porro).

Stephen Tonkin, our binoculars guru, was quoted by a member of CloudyNights: If he would be allowed to own only one binocular, this would be the APM 16x70 MS ED.

Hth.

(of course, no affiliation etc. etc., just a pleased owner)

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...