Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing sites in Swindon/ Oxford region

step_hen

Hi folks

I've got a great view from my back garden of the North, East and South regions of the sky, but have a blocke3d or light polluted Western aspect. i was wondering if any one new of a good dark sky site between swindon and oxford- i was thinking of places along the ridgeway perhaps- any suggestions?

Thanks

Stephen

Yes I have been up to Hackpen as well, not with my scope sadly as I dont want to take the chance of being there on my tod at night. There was mention at the swindon astronomy club of a place up at Barbury Castle. One area I did find recently was the back road between Ashbury and Lambourne, there seem to be some areas of high ground that are away from the main road. I did not stop as such but it may be worth driving along there slowely one day.

I do know a few little telephone exchange sites in the middle of the sticks so to speak, plenty of room around the backs of them.

When I lived in Didcot, I used to go to High Robins between West Ilsley and Catmore. Very quiet road (remote from Harwell and M4 junctions) with room to park by a gap in the hedge that leads to a public footpath.

But there are better places to the south of Swindon and some astronomers stop at the car park by Martinsell Hill - superb southern aspect from one of the highest points in southern England - Hugh

Thanks folks- lots of potential sites to explore. Barbury castle is till quite close to Swindon. also i thought they locked the car parks in the evening too? I'll check out Hackpen and Martinsell Hills some time. Isnt Hackpen hill were the road 'wiggles' around a white horse? The road out to Lambourne is closest to me- might go for a quick drive around later today- cant think of anywhere to park though!

Plenty of room at Seven Barrows on the road from Kingston Lisle to Lambourn - also on the road heading out past Lambourn Primary School towards the Whiteshute nature reserve. I'm told the Hackpen Hill parking space can sometimes get a bit crowded at night with people doing various things not remotely related to astronomy - Hugh

I have used the White horse carparks at Uffington and they are pretty good with dark skies. All these remote sites are likely to be visited by amourous couples and the police at various times.

Archived