Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tri Pier recommendation?

JCIdaho

Hi All,

Looking at Trevor's latest video on YouTube, I'm quite taken with the Starfield Tri Pier. I've never considered a portable Tri Pier, but I'm considering now because a) I think I'd getting better guiding for my AM5 than the carbon fibre mount, b) thinking of getting a bigger refractor than my SM90, and the extra vertical clearance would help, c) more vertical clearance helps generally to access more sky, d) it just looks very cool, and I want one.

There doesn't seem to me, to be much in the way of reviews for Tri Piers, probably because despite my reasons above, they aren't killer reasons? Has anyone had recent experience with a portable model, like this Starfield one, or perhaps the iOptron portable Tri Pier?

I'm based in the UK, and so getting the Starfield one in Trevor's video could be tricky. I note that Altair Astro, that look a lot like the Starfield one, but they're out of stock.

Any thoughts / recommendations welcome!

I have the iOptron Tri Pier and love it. Would highly recommend it. It is very easy to set up and light. I have a CEM60EC and 5” refractor on it and it is rock solid even in quite breezy conditions. It is quite expensive but I bought mine second hand from Astrobuyandsell. 

You’ll need to determine what pier adapter would work for the AM5 (if any will).

Also if you need more height there’s a pier extension you can buy. 

One tip if you do decide on it. Rather than keep adjusting the height of the column, I locked the column in its highest position for maximum clearance and height, and never change the column position. I loosen the leg expansion knobs and slide the legs inward to close up the tripod. It stands on its own and I store it in the upright position. When you want to set up,  simply take it outside, loosen the leg expansion knobs, extend the legs, level it by moving the legs in or out and once level, tighten the knobs.

CS Paul

20220418_200539.jpeg

• Like 1

I've owned, and used whilst traveling, the iOptron Tri Pier for a few years now.  It's extremely solid and I can tell no difference between using it and my permanent pier at home. It happily carries my CEM60 EC and OO CT10.

I just looked at the Altair offering and it looks very skinny compared to the iOptron one, maybe fine if weight is important for you, otherwise go for the most solid mount that funds allow for.

PXL_20220928_174141060.thumb.jpg.a7503342ca30656c31259e247c51f68c.jpg

• Like 2