Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSS question

Hi all,

I tried stacking multiple data sets in DSS today and initially opted to stack 90% of 1563 light frames in total.

No matter what I tried it only stacked 1250, which is 80%, (the default number in DSS), is it possible to stack more than that.

I did it in 5 group tabs and made sure to change the 80% to 90%.

Thankyou in advance,

Jeff

8 hours ago, fortytwo said:

Hi all,

I tried stacking multiple data sets in DSS today and initially opted to stack 90% of 1563 light frames in total.

No matter what I tried it only stacked 1250, which is 80%, (the default number in DSS), is it possible to stack more than that.

I did it in 5 group tabs and made sure to change the 80% to 90%.

Thankyou in advance,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, yes it is possible to go over 1250, a while back I did a mad episode of 2100odd out of 2300something in DSS, in about 20 groups. I  had been doing each group as  I progressed, so I had weeded out most bad subs along the way, so did it all at 100%. never got up the stamina to sort out which and why of the missing ones!

So apart from saying yes it can be done I cant be a lot of help other than to say:
when you have lots of groups to stack, untick all in each group except the first and last in each group, if they stack then go for the big overnight job ! and if they dont then play tunes on using which reference one in which group gets the best of the quicky little stack -
 choosing different ref. subs, middle or ends of a group can affect the stackability depending on what moved between each.

Edited by MalcolmP

The rest of your images are probably not stackable in this case, at least from DSS point of view. Check the list of images after registration and see if there are ones that have a very low number of stars detected compared to the rest of them? If there are, then these will probably not stack no matter what.

DSS is quite picky with images, and wont stack bad subs but you could try some other stacking software and see if they can be salvaged. Siril is a bit more complicated to use, but you can force it to stack pretty bad subs too if you change the star detection settings. But i should point out that the subs probably shouldn't be stacked if DSS rejects them because they will end up hurting the end result if mixed in with good subs.

20 hours ago, Elp said:

Thanks for that link, it concentrates on error messages and I'm not getting any message. The stack of 1250 stacks ok, it just won't do more.

15 hours ago, MalcolmP said:

Hi Jeff, yes it is possible to go over 1250, a while back I did a mad episode of 2100odd out of 2300something in DSS, in about 20 groups. I  had been doing each group as  I progressed, so I had weeded out most bad subs along the way, so did it all at 100%. never got up the stamina to sort out which and why of the missing ones!

So apart from saying yes it can be done I cant be a lot of help other than to say:
when you have lots of groups to stack, untick all in each group except the first and last in each group, if they stack then go for the big overnight job ! and if they dont then play tunes on using which reference one in which group gets the best of the quicky little stack -
 choosing different ref. subs, middle or ends of a group can affect the stackability depending on what moved between each.

Thanks Malcolm I'll give those ideas a run.

8 hours ago, Elp said:

Or just use Siril, you'll be able to do more with it image processing wise after too.

I might try that, bu t in all honesty I just cannot get on with SIRIL, it drives me mad for many reasons, but I might try it again.

3 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

The rest of your images are probably not stackable in this case, at least from DSS point of view. Check the list of images after registration and see if there are ones that have a very low number of stars detected compared to the rest of them? If there are, then these will probably not stack no matter what.

DSS is quite picky with images, and wont stack bad subs but you could try some other stacking software and see if they can be salvaged. Siril is a bit more complicated to use, but you can force it to stack pretty bad subs too if you change the star detection settings. But i should point out that the subs probably shouldn't be stacked if DSS rejects them because they will end up hurting the end result if mixed in with good subs.

There may be something in that but its a huge coincidence that 1250 is 80% of my total which is the default amount.

Thanks all for the advice.

Cheers,

Jeff

If you read the first few posts of that link a lot of people were getting issues loading more than a certain amount of files and their workarounds. Your computer is not RAM or HDD free space limited?

Siril may seem overwhelming at initial glance, if you were to do the process manually rather than use a script for full automation its actually laid out very methodologically in a left to right reading type manner, the stacking tabs on the right are anyway which is what you use for the stacking process, and the console is great for processing feedback. I still use DSS now and then, but for proper processing Siril is better.