Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

7AH Power Box-Probably A Bad Idea!!

wesdon1

Hi all. So last night I was so happy to be outside imaging again after couple months endless clouds. 

About 1 hour into my session, literally minutes after finishing a really problematic star alignment and PHD2 teething problem, finally getting the camera ( DSLR ) to start firing away taking 4.5 min subs of NGC6992, the damn power box ran out of power! Now normally, that box managed to run my HEQ5 for 3-4 hours on one full charge, but last night, the mount was picking stars for alignment that weren't visible from my location, so I was constantly slewing to new stars etc, draining lots of amps of power from power box in the process. I only got 3 x 4.5 min subs then the session was over. Gutted.

Anyway it finally convinced me I need a serious bit of kit to power my rig henceforth. People had warned me about using such a low amp hour power box when I first mentioned I got it many months back, and I didn't listen, unfortunately. 

So to any fellow newbie out there, please learn from my ignorance and make sure you spend the money needed for an adequate power supply for your individual rig/equipment because trust me, it's so disheartening and gutting when you have a rare clear night ruined because your power let you down!

Clear Skies