NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

6v power supply for EQ5

Mr Spock

I guess anyone who has used an EQ5 will be familiar with the fiddly 4x battery holder. I use rechargeable batteries and the other night I had no power. Changing the batteries was a real faff as usual. Plus it didn't really want to come on without tweaking. In total I must have spent 20mins+ fiddling with batteries.

Is there a better solution? Something that is easy to use, no fiddling, and doesn't get in the way of the mount. I'd consider both a different battery solution or mains. Anything to get rid of the faff!

I do have a Baader 12v mains which currently powers the fans on the Dob. A converter is under a tenner from Amazon so that's a possibility. I'd also need a pair of connectors, one F and one M to connect it.

If you use NiCd/NiMH, then 5 cells are a must.
A 5 cell stack will start at about 1.35V/cell and give 1.2V for most of the discharge, ensuring you get good results.
That is 6.75V dropping to 6V.

If you use lead acid, it will provide about 6.6V at the start, eventually dropping to about 5.7V.

If you use a lithium based powerbank, as @Nik271 it will provide a constant 5V.

If you use D size alkaline cells, as the original design, they sould last ages - unless slewing is your favourite activity😁

With ANY cells in holders, do not skimp on the holder quality.
There are many holders that have significant contact resistance (about 0.1 Ohm at each end).
This results in voltage drop when slewing and mount can forget what it is supposed to be doing.
Either buy good quality holders. Or for NiCd/NiMH buy tagged cells and solder them.

HTH, David.