Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sketching question

Richard N

I’m new to sketching at the eyepiece. I have an 8 inch dob. I’m finding it quite hard to keep things in view at higher magnification (x120 +). Do folks tend to use lower power or do I just need more practice with the (new) dob? 

I do have a smaller goto setup. Maybe I should use that for planets? Maybe I should be a bit more selective. The Dumbell below was done at lower power and was a lot easier to draw than Saturn at > x120IMG_4983.thumb.jpeg.e4b54de16319f55a878bd76d87f38dd7.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve only sketched DSOs but I use low power EPs on a widefield refractor on a manual alt-az mount. I do have to nudge the scope but not as much as I imagine you would have to with the dob. Maybe try your goto setup and see if it helps? I also make a fairly rough sketch at the EP and refine it indoors using notes I make. 
Lovely sketch of the Dumbell!

Edited by Nicola Fletcher

i wish i had a driven mount for this very reason but do also prefer a silent non electrical set up so it's manual tracking for me.

I find i'm better at looking for long periods (maybe the whole time it takes for the object to drift across the EP) then a quick scribble then another long look ad infinitum. Works well except for Luna where there i can never keep up in any event - neither with the drifting nor with the changing shadows. 🙂

I consider it a good test of short term memory!