Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mounting Apollo 15x70

bosun21

I was out last night with the Apollo 15x70 on my pistol grip mount and tripod. I find that they are just too heavy for the pistol grip and slips down when pointing higher in the sky. What mount would be suitable for these binoculars (2.5kg). I was thinking something from the Manfrotto line. Any advice appreciated.

Hi there. I have till now mounted either 15x56 binoculars (don’t know the weight offhand) or a circa 2.5kg spotting scope on the Manfrotto MVH502AH fluid head. It is rated to 4kg. The counterbalance is too strong for the binoculars (they don’t stay pointed where you leave them without locking the head) but it is very nice for the scope and I really get on with it. 

The  ergonomics to lock the head in altitude wherever you’re pointing are easy and reliable (a big one handed knob on the side) so I don’t find the counterbalance being too strong for the 15x56 to be any great hindrance. 

It’s always smooth and steady. Panning about is a joy. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, josefk said:

Hi there. I have till now mounted either 15x56 binoculars (don’t know the weight offhand) or a circa 2.5kg spotting scope on the Manfrotto MVH502AH fluid head. It is rated to 4kg. The counterbalance is too strong for the binoculars (they don’t stay pointed where you leave them without locking the head) but it is very nice for the scope and I really get on with it. 

The  ergonomics to lock the head in altitude wherever you’re pointing are easy and reliable (a big one handed knob on the side) so I don’t find the counterbalance being too strong for the 15x56 to be any great hindrance. 

It’s always smooth and steady. Panning about is a joy. 

That looks just the job. My Apollo binoculars are 2.5kg the same as your spotting scope so that should balance out quite well. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RT65CB-SWL said:

Hi @bosun21

If your trigger grip is of this type… 

41bA2kp1wlL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg.8e1578b9a32ea3c8a343d719d11e66f4.jpg

…then @BinocularSky has written a user guide/manual for it. (see below).
TG-manual.pdf

Yes that's the one. I found the adjustment allen screw on the bottom of it and have now tightened the movement action on it. It now holds the weight of the Apollos at high elevation. I will be able to use it in the interim however I think I'll upgrade it to a Manfrotto fluid head of sort. Thanks for the link 

• Thanks 1

I also have the Manfrotto 502AH fluid head to mount my Apollo's, and can heartily recommend it. 15x70s are completely comfortable on it, very solid and easy to control - point it at something and engage the horizontal and vertical locks, and it doesn't move at all. I once mounted a friend's 22x85 Apollos and they were also fine, and I was considering but never got around to getting something in the 100mm+ range, which would have been towards the top end of what the head could handle but I was confident enough it could do it. In short, 15x70s will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another vote for the Manfrotto 502 AH fluid head. I'm using it for my excellent APM MS 16x70 ED  (1.9 kg) on an ancient lightweight center crank column (very important) aluminum tripod. Perfect handling, smooth movements, safe and comfortable locking, the counterbalance system IME just  correctly  dimensioned. Panning around with it is pure joy, without flaws.

Works also fine with the ancient Wachter Gigant 14x100 (3.1 kg), not shaky.

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 1