Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Edge HD 8 for Planetary

Bargy

Could I pick your brains please guys?

I recently got the Edge HD8 and have been getting used to it. I have tried it in a couple of configurations so far - with and without the reducer. For both options I use the Celestron OAG and the ASI2600MC camera.

Without the reducer I run:
OAG SCT Adapter (25.3mm)
OAG Main Body (29mm)
OAG Camera Adapter (12.5mm)
ZWO Filter Draw (21mm)
16.5 spacer
11.55 spacer
ASI2600MC (17.5mm)
ZWO 174mm for guiding
Total: 105.3mm

With the reducer I run:
OAG SCT Adapter (25.3mm)
OAG Main Body (29mm)
OAG Camera Adapter (12.5mm)
ZWO Filter Draw (21mm)
ASI2600MC (17.5mm)
ZWO 174mm for guiding
Total: 133.35

The question I have is in regard to setup for planetary. For Planetary I also have the option to use:

Celestron T Adapter for Edge HD8
Original original visual back adapter that came with scope
ZWO 1.25” ADC
Tele Vue Powermate 2x 2”
ASI 662MC for Planetary

I’m wondering what the best configuration would be for planetary?

I have been led to believe it would be:

T-Adapter or Visual back - 2 x Powermate - ADC - Camera

However, I have to breakdown my kit and set it up each night, which means I have to include polar aligning each night. I have so far exclusively used the ASIAIR for this and for all my DSO needs, but would like to use Fire Capture for Planetary - so the main imaging camera would be attached to my PC and everything else to the ASIAIR.

Would it be possible to leave the AOG in the planetary config and use that for polar alignment and targeting? I'm not sure if that would even work as the OAG camera takes it's image right from the edge of the FOV and I'm not sure you could polar align with that and have the planet in the centre of view when slewing using the OAG camera? With my DSO setup whenever I centre Vega or another bright star in my main camera for collimation and focusing, the star I centered on doesn't even show in the guide camera window. 

Thoughts?

I'd try it without the Barlow as your camera is 2.9microns pixel size, as a rough guide for planets you want approx 5 x pixel size as your f no.

So you're looking for f15 which is in the middle of your scope native f10 and f20 with the Barlow.

If you have really good seeing where you are then once you've got to grips with things then try with the Barlow.

Polar alignment doesn't need to be spot on for planets, it helps but is not essential.

Best of luck and look forward to seeing you're images.

Make sure your finder is well aligned with the scope as it's pretty hard to get the planets on the image camera sensor.