NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ha-O3 view of the Veil

old_eyes

2-panel mosaic of the ever popular Veil Complex. My first try with a dual-band Ha-O3 filter on a colour camera.

~50 x 300 sec Ha-O3 on Pier 5 @Roboscopes in Spain (Tak Epsilon 180 f/2.8, unguided Paramount MX, ASI 2400MC Pro).

2306Veilscaled.thumb.jpg.701b89ac8d18617202c48873c4a9fca9.jpg

• Like 17

56 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

That is indeed deep, as Peter says. The Ha (lower right in this orientation) is also interesting because deep broadband in that part of the field seems to suggest a high concentration of dust as well.

Olly

Yes, it is trying to work out what is Ha in the vicinity (there's a lot about in that part of the sky), and what is part of the complex. I may be kidding myself, but I see a partial outer ring of Ha emission. Something outside the typical features we image but tracking the general shape of the Veil.

It's fun when you see something you hadn't noticed before!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, old_eyes said:

Yes, it is trying to work out what is Ha in the vicinity (there's a lot about in that part of the sky), and what is part of the complex. I may be kidding myself, but I see a partial outer ring of Ha emission. Something outside the typical features we image but tracking the general shape of the Veil.

It's fun when you see something you hadn't noticed before!

I think most of it is generated by the supernova remnant at least in that FOV

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I also wonder if the shock front is not compressing the interstelar gas and dust beyond the obvious shell of the loops.

Olly

Good point!

I had not thought of  that explanation. Would make sense of what we see. Generalised low-level emission from large clouds of Hydrogen, with that nice brighter ‘outlining’ of the Veil. 

High-res spectroscopy should tell, but that is way beyond me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/08/2023 at 08:39, old_eyes said:

Good point!

I had not thought of  that explanation. Would make sense of what we see. Generalised low-level emission from large clouds of Hydrogen, with that nice brighter ‘outlining’ of the Veil. 

High-res spectroscopy should tell, but that is way beyond me.

However...  I'm currently working on a vast mosaic including the Veil, and the line of brown dust rising from the tip of the WItch's Broom seems to carry on for a long way, so the alignment between the broom and the dust may be chance. To be continued...

Olly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

However...  I'm currently working on a vast mosaic including the Veil, and the line of brown dust rising from the tip of the WItch's Broom seems to carry on for a long way, so the alignment between the broom and the dust may be chance. To be continued...

Olly

I can only await with bated breath yet another “vast mosaic” from the team at Les Granges!

• Haha 1