NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Possible PN or in Soul Nebula

Rodd

This image was processed for full resolution viewing.  The attached starless crop is from the upper edge of the nebula and it includes a small obect that appears to be a PN.   Does anybody know what it is?

FSQ 106 with .6x reducer and ASI 1600.  About 24 hours of Ha, SII, and OIII

Full image

z5b-up.thumb.jpg.5cf65ab03bcce86d23557c10c604eba6.jpg

Starless Crop showing possible PN at center

z5b-upCrop2.thumb.jpg.8751f8e250d13fb7f379404e3fa3bc8c.jpg

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Taman said:

Hi Rodd,

Beautiful image of the Soul Nebula! This object also shows in my own image, but only in the Ha data. I've just checked it with Aladin and it's a Young Stellar Object Candidate (YSO) IRAS 02465+6024. 

Here's the Simbad link: http://simbad.cds.unistra.fr/simbad/sim-id?Ident=IRAS+02465%2B6024&

Clear skies!

Tony.

I was just thinking it looked like a circumstellar disk!

Most objects like that are way too small for us amateurs! Even the near by orion nebula which is littered with them won't show them with the average ground based scope!

2 hours ago, Taman said:

Hi Rodd,

Beautiful image of the Soul Nebula! This object also shows in my own image, but only in the Ha data. I've just checked it with Aladin and it's a Young Stellar Object Candidate (YSO) IRAS 02465+6024. 

Here's the Simbad link: http://simbad.cds.unistra.fr/simbad/sim-id?Ident=IRAS+02465%2B6024&

Clear skies!

Tony.

Thank you. That’s interesting. It looks to me like there are ejections from the ends.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pipnina said:

I was just thinking it looked like a circumstellar disk!

Most objects like that are way too small for us amateurs! Even the near by orion nebula which is littered with them won't show them with the average ground based scope!

I wonder how big it is. I wonder how big the bubble nebula would be if it was placed at this location

Amazing image and even more remarkable capture. I actually wrote my third year astrophysics dissertation on imaging circumstellar discs. Don’t recall concluding an amateur would do it! 😄

Edited by DirkSteele

3 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

Amazing image and even more remarkable capture. I actually wrote my third year astrophysics dissertation on imaging circumstellar discs. Don’t recall concluding an amateur would do it! 😄

Thanks Dirk.  One of my favorite adages Iwith respect to astronomy: “You can do amazing things with a 4” scope”

6 hours ago, Rodd said:

Good question. I’ll have to look. Computer is at the scope currently. 

Someone posted a planetary looking nebula in Cygnus a while back.  It showed up more strongly in O3 than Ha.  Did a bit of digging and it turned out it was an IR leak in the O3 filter combined with that particular star being something like the 6th brightest IR source in the night sky.  Basically caused a halo as the IR was poorly focused compared to O3.  That particular star was a variable and was easy enough to find magnitude info on visible and IR wavelengths.

Not saying that's what it is in this case (given that the object isn't circular and after post processing appears to have lobes rather than being circular) but it's something to eliminate.

If your imaging train has an IR/uv cut filter in the train then it won't be that.

I love these mysteries.  Love it.