Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finningley amateur Radio Rally This Sunday July 23rd

Why am I posting this?
There is a significant overlap of people between astronomy & amateur radio. Quite a few have a foot in both camps.
Why post here? I couldn't find a better place on the forum. Mods please move if you have a better idea.

An amateur radio rally is rather like a car boot sale, with some retailers added on the end. It covers mainly radio & electronics stuff.
However, there is often astronomy related stuff on sale. Last year at this rally I picked up a scope tripod and missed another tripod while thinking.
I know that the club, who are hosting the event, have on their stall some 13.8V supplies, like the Nevada and others we use. There are lots of 12V 4A switchers - I donated them.
Quite a few other power supplies as well. I have seen a big box containing a few hundred DC connectors, the size we use on astro kit.
A significant amount of items for sale are relevant to the DIY astronomer.

The club is fortunate to have the exclusive use of buildings associated with the long gone RAF Sandtoft.
Members have been experimenting with microwave comms, and are working on EME (bouncing radio signals off the moon) using a 3M dia dish. Hmm, how to track??.
A few days ago they were listening in to chat from the ISS to students in Canada. It was an orbit just sneaking over the horizon for a few minutes.
Around 5 years ago members trialled light wave (modulated LED) comms over tens of miles. At least two members own their own scope, and I usually leave something there for other members.
Lots happens. As amateur radio is in decline, there is significant interest in other 'technology' based activity.

The entry cost is £5. I recommend getting there at the start. These events tend to go off with a bang and by 1pm people are packing stalls away.
Parking is on site. Unless it gets really busy, then there is overflow at the trolley bus museum a couple of hundred yards up the road.
Getting there.....http://g0ghk.com/home/visit/
If you don't fancy the road trip and have a winged alternative, Sandtoft (friendly GA airfield) is walking distance.

I will be there helping out and look forward to seeing SGL faces.

David.

• Like 3

Update saturday evening. I was at the site today to help with setting up. Preparations are well underway.
Importantly the outdoor sales area and the car parking are firm. not boggy or waterlogged. The forecast is for much less rain than today.
The photo shows part of the trader area.

20230722_172424.jpg

Edited by Carbon Brush
Photo added
  • Like 2

There is also and indoor trader area, mostly run by the radio club.
The first image shows a table containing lithium battery packs 1850 based, 5P 4S.
These are removed from life critical medical equipment, removed on the basis if date.
You are getting known name cells with (all but) 100% life remaining in the cells.  Not dodgy unamed product.

Then there are 12V lead acid batteries. Removed from ship emergency lighting on the basis of time.
In reality they are again near enough 100% of new capacity.

The final pic is a general view of the internal sales area.

Early in the morning the outdoor traders will arrive. I will be too busy to be posting pics.

20230722_172533.jpg

20230722_172550.jpg

20230722_172633.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like it will be a great "Ham Fest".  Wish I could be there but it would be a bit of a trip since I am on the other side of the pond.

Will there be an HF station on the air?

Edited by CCD-Freak

Hi John. Thanks for your comment.
Yes it is always a good rally. Viewed by many as the best for 100 or more miles around.
No HF (or other) stations on the day as it is all hands to the pumps car parking, manning club stalls, looking after other traders, etc.

For HF contact at other times, there are a couple of members who are into CW contests.

David.

• Like 1