Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How does my collimation look?

Never been that good with collimation, cleaned my mirrors a while back and not sure I have aligned everything correctly when putting it all back together.

10" F4.8 OO

Camera is looking down a collimation cap in the first three photos and the last 2 are looking down a cheshire collimation eyepiece. Sorry if it isn't clear!

Thanks for any help

PXL_20230709_132048840.jpg

PXL_20230709_132053621.jpg

PXL_20230709_132058088.jpg

PXL_20230709_132157147.jpg

PXL_20230709_132207005.jpg

Close, but the third clip on the primary is outside the field. Secondary might need a tweak followed by the primary. Take it in very small steps.

• Like 1

Thanks buddy!

In this pic that I've attached, I've highlighted the secondary. Should it be sticking out like that? Should I be able to see that part of the secondary at all? Because I installed a new 4 vane spider a few years back and wondereing if it is a little off.

Thanks again

PXL_20230709_132048840.jpg

The secondary on a fast newt always looks slightly offset due to foreshortening of the ellipse; the rays hitting the top end of the secondary have had a couple of inches extra travel up the tube to come in closer to the optical axis. . Some people offset the secondary slightly to compensate but OO scopes don't allow for this as the vanes are fixed length, as is true in most commercial designs. 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t make a judgment call without being able to clearly see the outside of the focus tube as it’s the key reference point. I’d also recommend putting a sheet of paper behind the focuser.

• Thanks 1