NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A question on coma (Newts)

For the same true field, does a fast newtonian show more coma than a slow newtonian? For example, assuming I use a 24 mm 68° ep in a 6" f6 scope and a 16mm 68° ep in a 6" f4 scope, thus showing the same true field, would I see the same amount of coma?

I'm happy to be corrected but I think there would be less coma showing in the F/6 scope than in the F/4. 

Edit: If I am corrected it will be by a coma corrector 😁

Edited by John
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

image.png.816385826af2579e086ea940a33dd129.png

First expression is in mm second is in inches

(I misread explanation on the page - first expression is PV error, second is RMS error, different numerical constants go for mm / inches - can be found on page)

D is diameter, F is F/ratio, alpha is field angle and h is linear height in focal plane.

Maybe best to use h as we have field stop diameters. For 16mm it is 18.2mm or h=9.1mm and for 24mm we have 27.2mm field stop diameter or h = 13.6mm

So we have

38 * 9.1 / 4^3 = 38 * 9.1 / 64 = ~5.4 waves of coma at the edge of the field with 16mm 68 degree EP at F/4 telescope vs

38 * 13.6 / 6^3 = 38 * 13.6 / 216 = ~2.4 waves of coma at the edge of the field with 24mm 68 degree EP at F/6 telescope

Coma would be about half with F/6 scope

source:

https://www.telescope-optics.net/newtonian_off_axis_aberrations.htm

Edited by vlaiv
error ...
  • Thanks 1