NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

North Amercan Nebula

3x10min exposures,160mmfl,f5,iso800.

450d piggybacked on main scope which i used to do a bit of manual guiding.Converted to b&w because it highlighted the shape better than the small amount of red that managed to get through the IR filter.Quite pleased with it as its my first go at manual guiding.Nothing spectacular i know but it put a little smile on my face anyway.

NGC7000crop.jpg

Well done!

That is a heck of a lot of concentration you must have put in to guide manually like that!

The bit of trailing that is showing is very regular so would be easy to process out.

You have every right to be pleased.

Cheers

Rob

My heq5 mount seems to have developed a glitch where it goes a bit wobbly every few minutes,i used to be able to get 4mins unguided before any trailing was evident but now its about half of that and it really goes off quickly so i just have to stare at it and try and keep up with the bit that goes off and then i can relax for another 90 seconds or so.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this sudden wobble.

When the endless Caithness bright nights start at the middle of next month i'll take it to work and strip it down,check shafts,gears in case something is off the true.

I actually quite enjoyed doing it although i'll maybe not be so keen when its minus 5 or so.

Thanks Rob,Peter.

Maybe this version is a little smoother.

NGC7000crop-1.jpg

Terrific S5 ! Looking fwd to having a go at this mesen, (tho I shan't be manually guiding )

I know what you mean about the wobble, I found a very similar thing happening whilst viewing/imaging Saturn- stayed exceptionally well centred for a surprisingly healthy length of time, then just went off a did a little dance !

Karlo

Thanks Steve,"hero for a day":laugh: nice one,or one click away from being an idiot.

I can see where this is all going to end up.I've been making half hearted efforts at imaging and what with loads of O.T over the winter and what has to be the worst year ever for clear skies it just feels like i'm exactly where i was the previous winter.I did once say i would never buy a goto setup or that i wasnt really interested in autoguiding.

Never say never eh?:)

Archived