NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescopes and backpacks

3 minutes ago, SwiMatt said:

Thanks so much @grjsk! And I assume that FLO is a good provider also for Scandinavia, since you suggest it :)

The price is more or less in my range, a stool is included in my mind. My main issue isn't the price tag itself, it's how much money I'm ready to invest to start with! ;)

FLO is an excellent provider also for Scandinavia. It's my go-to shop. 

If 500 pounds is a bit more than you where hoping to invest to start with, one of the pronto options, either the refractor or the Skymax 102 is an option:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-pronto.html

But now we are down to 90-102mm aperture. Also, while the az-5 (or the az-gti) could stay with you for a long time, and can be used with many different scopes, the pronto head can't really take more than it already carries. So if you get bitten by the bug, you basically need to start over in terms of equipment.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elp said:

Stick to a budget to start with, if not you'll end up buying all sorts of unnecessary stuff. With the likes of Amazon you can also save by purchasing from non native Amazon sites, obviously factoring in delivery, currency conversion and any import costs (made simpler with Amazon's import fee deposit within the price). FLO are a good provider period, ask them for advice if you've got any queries.

Thanks. Yes, it seems like the best way forward. Beyond a budget, I also have a great tip for everyone who, like me, has been burned by new hobbies in the past... don't buy anything before you've been obsessing over it for a couple of months :lol:

7 minutes ago, grjsk said:

FLO is an excellent provider also for Scandinavia. It's my go-to shop. 

If 500 pounds is a bit more than you where hoping to invest to start with, one of the pronto options, either the refractor or the Skymax 102 is an option:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-pronto.html

But now we are down to 90-102mm aperture. Also, while the az-5 (or the az-gti) could stay with you for a long time, and can be used with many different scopes, the pronto head can't really take more than it already carries. So if you get bitten by the bug, you basically need to start over in terms of equipment.  

500 pounds is right where I considered my maximum, so the Skymax 127 seems like a nice combo that I will enjoy. One of my main considerations was also to invest in something that I know will have further use - or, viceversa, easier to re-sell. I feel that the Pronto in combination with smaller instruments would be an important block in any kind of growth I'd like, while as you say with the AZ5 one can only go forward. I'm already thinking that a small refractor might be a nice complement for wider views, and hopefully I could rely on some local clubs to get the large aperture views.

Thank you so much for the suggestions so far, I will keep you posted! :grin:

3 minutes ago, SwiMatt said:

500 pounds is right where I considered my maximum, so the Skymax 127 seems like a nice combo that I will enjoy. One of my main considerations was also to invest in something that I know will have further use - or, viceversa, easier to re-sell. I feel that the Pronto in combination with smaller instruments would be an important block in any kind of growth I'd like, while as you say with the AZ5 one can only go forward. I'm already thinking that a small refractor might be a nice complement for wider views, and hopefully I could rely on some local clubs to get the large aperture views.

Thank you so much for the suggestions so far, I will keep you posted! :grin:

I agree with your thinking. Both the az-5 and the skymax 127 could easily be keepers, no matter what direction you go with this hobby in the future. Good luck!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Bringing this thread back up. I am a newbie here and just got the Celestron DX 5 (effectively a Star Sense version of the C5). I'm looking to build it out as a grab-n-go scope and searching for advice on backpacks. I purchased the Vaguard R48 but i'm wondering if it is a bit too narrow. Any other suggestions of a bag you love. Also, any tips on how to store it in a bag: orientation, cushioning, etc?

It's been rainy all days since i got it and havent gotten out under the sky yet!

Roll the scope in a camping/yoga mat before putting it centrally in a rucksack. I only use refractors and like to keep them "objective up" to avoid the risk of dust/foreign bodies falling onto the rear lens element from the eyepiece end. 

I have a North Face duffel bag (unsure about the model, I can check when I get back home) which is very spacious and opens "from the back", it's filled while horizontal and then carried vertically on my shoulders. I store the telescope with the objective down so I don't have to take apart the star diagonal, and fit my Mak 127 along with the AZ5 mount and my portable stool. Small parts are "loose" on the bottom: there is enough space for the red dot finder and the tripod tray to stay there without being crushed by anything. Finally, the last thing I fit in the bag is the dew shield, flat so that it keeps telescope and mount in their place, offering some structure. But no cushioning in my case: it might be risky, but I feel that as long as I don't run the whole thing feels stable and still, I use separate parts to give structure to the "build". The tripod, I carry on my shoulder, and I'm planning to find a solution to attach it to the side of the bag. Also, I carry the eyepieces and filters in a [removed word] pack.

By the way, what I really like of this bag is that on the field I put it down horizontally and I can access the whole content all at once, especially once the telescope is set up: then it become the place where I can leave my Atlas, my binoculars, etc. It's also never really full, so it's easy to find different pieces I need during a session.

Likely it's a Base Camp model if it's the one that folds down flat. An equivalent I bought (I've got two) is a Fohn duffel, the straps of which are backpack type so useful for my 20Kg loads.

As per @Franklins recommendation, yoga mat is invaluable for packing astro gear, cheap, easily sourced and can be cut up to size as well as layered to suit depending on the thicknesses you buy, thicker the better.

• Like 1