NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Solar outing - Starfield 102ED

CraigT82

Haven't had a scope outside in months, mainly because I'm usually in bed before it's dark, so decided to do something about it and bought a Lunt Herschel wedge, Baader Solar Continuum filter and also ordered an Antlia 3nm calcium line filter from FLO.  Managed to put all to use this morning on the Starfield 102ED and this is the first pic I've processed. I also played around with a barlow and the calcium filter so will put up more as I get them finished.

Haven't really done any solar imaging before so not sure how its done properly. This was stacked best 10% of 5000 captured frames in AS3 (native focal length), then some levels and wavelets in Astrosurface, then colour in Gimp. 

Thanks for looking.

Edit: added the calcium image, bit softer than the 540nm but a little more contrast on the Faculae. Burnt it out in the middle... oops!

2023-06-15-0943_7-U-G-Sun_10Sharp.png

2023-06-15-1003_1-U-G-Sun_10sharp.png

Edited by CraigT82
  • Like 5