Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tele Vue Dioptrx Astigmatism Corrector

I am considering the purchase of a Televue 5 mm Nagler eyepiece. This would be used primerily on my 102 mm Starfield refractor. One of the reasons to choose a Nagler is that a Tele Vue Dioptrx Astigmatism Corrector can be attached. I would be interested to hear comments from others who use the astigmatism correctors. I have not been able to see the Cassinin division on Saturn the last couple of apparitions and wonder if these will improve the views.

Edited by Grump Martian
Spelling

9 hours ago, Grump Martian said:

I am considering the purchase of a Televue 5 mm Nagler eyepiece. This would be used primerily on my 102 mm Starfield refractor. One of the reasons to choose a Nagler is that a Tele Vue Dioptrx Astigmatism Corrector can be attached. I would be interested to hear comments from others who use the astigmatism correctors. I have not been able to see the Cassinin division on Saturn the last couple of apparitions and wonder if these will improve the views.

Is the 5mm Nagler DioptRx-compatible?

Yes, with the TeleVue adapter that allows it.

Do I recommend the DioptRx on the 5mm?

No, I don't.  The eyepiece has only 12mm of eye relief before the DioptRx is added and it reduces the eye relief to about eyelash length or less.

Either you pull your eye back every time you blink, or you get eyelash oils on the DioptRx every time.

Your scope is f/7.  A 5mm yields a 0.7mm exit pupil in that scope.

For you to need glasses at that focal length of eyepiece means your astigmatism needs to be 3.5 diopters or worse.

If you have that much astigmatism, you do need the correction.

But if you don't, the eyepiece would be usable without glasses (you simply refocus the scope for refractive error, either myopia or hyperopia or presbyopia).

The alternative, if you do have that much astigmatism, is to get an eyepiece that is usable with glasses on, like the 4.5mm Baader Morpheus, 5mm Baader Hyperion, 5mm Pentax XW, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Whether or not a Dioptrx will help depends on  the degree of astigmatism you have in your observing eye.  You can find this on your prescription under cylinder, often abbreviated to CYL.  Note that your left eye appears on the right hand side of the prescription and vice versa.  The higher the number, the greater the astigmatism.

It also depends on the exit pupil of the scope with a given eyepiece.  I assume that your Starfield refractor is an f/7, in which case a 5mm eyepiece will give an exit pupil of 5/7, i.e. less than 0.75.

As Don has pointed out, with such a small exit pupil your astigmatism would have to be fairly bad to need correction.  The graph on the link below will quantify this.  From this you'll see that your astigmatism would have to be about 3 dioptres or worse for a Dioptrx to be any use to you with an exit pupil of 0.75.

https://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=54&Tab=_Choose

At bigger exit pupils/lower magnifications you may benefit from a Dioptrx even if your astigmatism isn't very bad. Again the above graph will help here.

I'd add that it's not just Televue eyepieces that accept a Dioptrx.  Quite a few others do as well such as the Pentax 70 Deg XW and Baader Morpheus ranges.  However, that really needs a separate topic.

The same applies to whether to observe with glasses or a Dioptrx, for which there are pros and cons.  Don prefers the former while I prefer the latter.  A search (certainly on Cloudy Nights, but possibly here on SGL as well) should show our reasons and that of others.

Edited by Second Time Around
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

Whether or not a Dioptrx will help depends on  the degree of astigmatism you have in your observing eye.  You can find this on your prescription under spherical, often abbreviated to SPH.  Note that your left eye appears on the right hand side of the prescription and vice versa.  The higher the number, the greater the astigmatism.

It also depends on the exit pupil of the scope with a given eyepiece.  I assume that your Starfield refractor is an f/7, in which case a 5mm eyepiece will give an exit pupil of 5/7, i.e. less than 0.75.

As Don has pointed out, with such a small exit pupil your astigmatism would have to be fairly bad to need correction.  The graph on the link below will quantify this.  From this you'll see that your astigmatism would have to be about 3 dioptres or worse for a Dioptrx to be any use to you with an exit pupil of 0.75.

https://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=54&Tab=_Choose

At bigger exit pupils/lower magnifications you may benefit from a Dioptrx even if your astigmatism isn't very bad. Again the above graph will help here.

I'd add that it's not just Televue eyepieces that accept a Dioptrx.  Quite a few others do as well such as the Pentax 70 Deg XW and Baader Morpheus ranges.  However, that really needs a separate topic.

The same applies to whether to observe with glasses or a Dioptrx, for which there are pros and cons.  Don prefers the former while I prefer the latter.  A search (certainly on Cloudy Nights, but possibly here on SGL as well) should show our reasons and that of others.

Spherical, or SPH, refers to distance correction.  This can be adjusted using your focuser.

Cylinder, or CYL is the astigmatism specification on a prescription.  This is what a DioptRx corrects.

• Thanks 1