NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

APM 140 doublet for visual?

Hi,

I'm in the market for a refractor as my only instrument (visual only).

APM 140mm doublet caught my eye, it fits almost perfectly, not too small aperture, not too expensive compared to premium scopes with similar aperture and reviews are very good. 

So, is it really that good?  Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks

Saw this review:

https://astrogeartoday.com/review-apm-140mm-doublet-ed-apochromatic-refractor/

From the appearance and the specs, it looks like the bigger brother to my Starfield 102ED (also sold by TS Optics and Altair iirc), which also has FPL-53 and Lanthanum glass. I've seen absolutely no CA through mine. If you can mount it on something substantial, I reckon you're on a winner.

Edit: if the standard focuser is also the same, it's excellent. No need to go for the uprated one for visual.

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Saw this review:

https://astrogeartoday.com/review-apm-140mm-doublet-ed-apochromatic-refractor/

From the appearance and the specs, it looks like the bigger brother to my Starfield 102ED (also sold by TS Optics and Altair iirc), which also has FPL-53 and Lanthanum glass. I've seen absolutely no CA through mine. If you can mount it on something substantial, I reckon you're on a winner.

Edit: if the standard focuser is also the same, it's excellent. No need to go for the uprated one for visual.

Yes, I saw that review, thanks. The plan is to use a good Berlebach tripod and some quality manual alt az mount.

I've also considered this scope and would love to hear from those who actually own one. My main hesitation would be dealing with the proprietor of APM, who hasn't impressed me with his handling of previous issues I've had with their products. I really want to like APM, especially since they offer products like the 140mm refractor, but it's hard for me due to their difficult customer service.

• Like 2

On 24/05/2023 at 14:52, The60mmKid said:

I've also considered this scope and would love to hear from those who actually own one. My main hesitation would be dealing with the proprietor of APM, who hasn't impressed me with his handling of previous issues I've had with their products. I really want to like APM, especially since they offer products like the 140mm refractor, but it's hard for me due to their difficult customer service.

What was the problem?

13 hours ago, garryblueboy said:

The APM 140 is a great scope I had one go for the large focuser if you can one it looks right and two it holds on to your gear better only reason I sold mine was to upgrade to a TEC 140 ED 

IMG_5424.jpeg

IMG_5423.jpeg

Thank you, did you have a chance to compare both scopes side by side?

BTW, I'm getting exactly the same setup except Berlebach tripod, but I'll check this Altair pier tripod, looks very nice...

No not side by side but the APM is a fine performer and it was only a future long term medical condition that prompted me to narrow down my telescope collection and get a stick with it scope which I would have with the APM but I was lucky to be able to get the TEC I would highly recommend the APM 140 it’s a manageable scope the tube is a six inch so it’s looks like a huge scope but being a doublet it’s easy to manage you would have to look real hard to find any CA on any bright objects in focus the build and finish are top notch and premium I’d say like I said it looks and is better for the 3.7 focuser yes the TEC is better but 7k better no definite not if the deal on the TEC hadn’t been on I would have been quite happy with the APM .

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, yellowdwarf said:

Thank you, did you have a chance to compare both scopes side by side?

BTW, I'm getting exactly the same setup except Berlebach tripod, but I'll check this Altair pier tripod, looks very nice...

What it really looks nice on is this I sold the Berlebach for the TPod lighter 

IMG_5368.jpeg

IMG_5399.jpeg

Edited by garryblueboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, garryblueboy said:

What it really looks nice on is this I sold the Berlebach for the TPod lighter 

IMG_5368.jpeg

IMG_5399.jpeg

Very nice equipment!

Are you satisfied with Altair Tri Pier tripod?

I was actually deciding between APM 120mm SD binoculars and APM 140 doublet... If you compare views on same mags which do you prefer? Also, does 120mm SD binos go beyond 100x magnification?

Obviously the Bino views are stunning so it’s hard to pick a winner depending on your targets really and the Binos are a good 1K more without pairs of eyepieces the Altair pier tripod is excellent Great build quality and finish 

• Like 1