NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eq Mount for Celestron C6-N 6" Newt

astromole

I am returning to astronomy after a considerable time and have a Skywatcher 130PM on an Eq2 mount. I am considering a Celestron C6-N 6" f/5 Newt OTA and was wondering whether it will fit on the skywatcher EQ2 mount. Are the fittings compatible? Are the mount & tripod robust enough for the 6" OTA? Any advice from you experienced guys would be most welcome.

Thanks

Mole

Thanks for the advice.

Is it that the tube won't physically fit on the mount or is that the whole thing will wobble and vibrate too much? Even if I were to buy a sturdier mount, would I notice a significant improvement over my 130PM? Once again thanks for your guidance

Frank

It's basically a weight issue Frank. The EQ2 will wobble and shake with a 6" newtonian and the slightest gust of wind would ruin the view. You should be able pick up an undriven EQ5 (or the CG5 which is Celestron's version) for about £100 secondhand.

Tony..

(EDIT: What Ian said!)

Thanks guys

I guess I'll just have to curb this aperture fever until more funds become available

Frank

Hi Frank,

Or you could make a simple dobsonian mount for the 6" OTA until you can run to a more robust EQ mount for it.

I did that many years ago (and I'm dead bad at DIY !) and saw loads of nice views with my 6" F6 newt mounted that way.

John

Archived