Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Supernova - SN 2023bee

Bill S

I like to have a bit of look for some of the supernovae listed on the Rochester site (https://rochesterastronomy.org/snimages/).

One that I looked at during March is SN 2023bee in NGC 2708 (Hydra). This was discovered at the beginning of February and is said to have reached a maximum brightness of about 13. It was a Type Ia. I also looked for it a few days ago and it was still visible but noticeably dimmer.

image.png.2c0a7e7fbe2347d4ea84326839c8f9db.png

image.png.1ede1e67c7cd6c81ba3ffa93f0c41453.png

I uploaded images from the March and April viewings to astrometry.net and plate solved them. I then loaded them into ASTAP to see if I could get reasonable magnitudes.

The March one came out as 14.0. A result published around the same date on the Rochester site was 14.2 and marked V, so presumably a photometric V filter was used. The April figure for me was 15.7, The closest date's Rochester result was 15.4 G (presumably a green filter).

The supernova looks a long way out from the main part of the galaxy.

Edited by Bill S
  • Like 5

• Bill S changed the title to A Supernova - SN 2023bee