NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Maine Bolide.

maw lod qan

I had heard that it was a spectacular fireball.

Visible for almost 4 minutes in daylight. Even tracked with radar. 

Now I see there are offers of $25K for anyone who finds a piece that weighs  kilo. They also said they would probably buy any pieces.

• Like 3

$25 per gram is quite cheap for witnessed fall meteorites. Most retail for 3-4x that much at least so there are profits to be made for the dealers, if any is found.

The one that recently fell in the UK (Winchcombe) currently retails at around $2,000 per gram !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

Visible for almost 4 minutes in daylight. Even tracked with radar.

The 4 minutes of "visibility" would have been for the radar, during the dark flight phase of the event, ie when the surviving fragments had slowed to below the velocity needed for a meteoroid to generate visible light (~1 km/s). According to the witness reports the fireball itself lasted around 3.5 seconds, which is fairly typical for a meteorite dropping event.

Occasionally they may last 10s+, and certainly slow fireballs that take a minute+ to cross the sky are possible, but it seems that was not the case here.

I thought 4 minutes seemed, impossible. With radar makes more sense.

With the way I picture Maine and Canada in my mind, heavily forested, might make searching difficult.

I wonder if there are still areas with any snow cover that would help?

It is exceptionally rare, but there have been events that lasted ~4 minutes, such as the Great meteor procession of 1913. Granted that was multiple objects, but if the angle of entry is low enough, and the meteoroid has to catch up with Earth traveling along it's orbit around the Sun, an exceptionally slow/long lasting event is possible. The characteristics of such an event cold be very similar to a space junk reentry.

I suspect you will be right about the type of terrain there making the search difficult. I think the models they use to determine the likely position of the strewn field are quite reliable though, so that should help shift the odds back in favor of finding something. That and hopefully there will be many looking which should boost the chances of finding something.

Snow is not usually a good thing as far as I know. If the snow is soft any meteorites will just disappear below the surface. Even if it's hard snow, and the meteorite is sitting on top, on a sunny day a black rock will warm up and melt through the surface. In Chelyabinsk it hampered efforts if I recall, although the ice did help pinpoint the location of the large mass that fell in the lake.