Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Innorel carbon fibre tripod for imaging medium load

Elp

Anyone got experience with an Innorel KT324C carbon fibre tripod for a medium AP load (15Kg total or so). It seems to meet the requirement at 25Kg max load but I don't like the 4 section nature of it, a 3 or 2 section would be better.

Or do I go for the RT range?

I already use a short leofoto for my azgti setup so know carbon fibre works well, and is light for transportation.

Edited by Elp

I use an Innorel RT90c tripod with an RST-135 mount and have used it for a Takahashi 102 TSA and, separately, an Orion Optics CT8 reflector. Total weight of mount head, telescope, guide scope + cameras will be around 12 kg or so (I used a counterweight for the reflector so may been 15 kg or so then) and the tripod was fine. Only thing I did was change the tripod feet to Gitzo big foot 50 mm ones. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Went for an NT364 in the end, nice thick 36mm legs at the top down to 25mm at the bottom. Its so tall too fully extended that viewing near zenith whilst standing upright is possible.

I've got the same model of tripod as you bought.  I used it with an az5 and 130pds.

It worked well, could get a bit wobbly fully extended at high power with the legs fully extended, but was like a rock with one or two leg segments in.

I think it was only wobbly fully out because of the movement arm from the newt combined with the az5 holding the scope off centre from the middle of the tripod.  Pretty certain it would be much more solid with and eq mount.

• Like 1

Just now, Ratlet said:

I've got the same model of tripod as you bought.  I used it with an az5 and 130pds.

It worked well, could get a bit wobbly fully extended at high power with the legs fully extended, but was like a rock with one or two leg segments in.

I think it was only wobbly fully out because of the movement arm from the newt combined with the az5 holding the scope off centre from the middle of the tripod.  Pretty certain it would be much more solid with and eq mount.

And like I say, with one or two leg segments not fully extended it was solid.  I'd imagine it would make a great imaging rig.

RT90C, SW AZ5, and ST120 with upgraded 2-speed Crayford is a bit shaky on focusing for my tastes.  Not sure which is the weakest link.  The RT90 seems very solid when I push on it, tap it, etc..

Edited by jjohnson3803

Think length and breadth of scope has something to do with it. My smaller refractor setup works well for visual with a different smaller carbon tripod on the azgti, but when I tried a 130pds (still similar total weight) it vibrated more. My C6 stresses the azgti too even though it's the same or slightly less total weight of the refractor setup, but sticks out more from the Ra centre of rotation.

2 hours ago, jjohnson3803 said:

RT90C, SW AZ5, and ST120 with upgraded 2-speed Crayford is a bit shaky on focusing for my tastes.  Not sure which is the weakest link.  The RT90 seems very solid when I push on it, tap it, etc..

I'm pretty sure it's the system as a whole.  I get less shake with the azgti than the az5 on the carbon fibre tripod.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Just wondering how you were getting on with the tripod?

Tripod is pretty much exactly what I was after. It doesn't dampen as good as my wooden one (I wouldn't expect it to), but at half the weight and also volume it's much easier to carry around.

At some point I want to see how it is fully extended and my scope is pointing high up (so I can comfortably view standing upright).

• Like 1