NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron C8 Mirror Coating

I used to have a 10 year old C8 and the mirror coatings on that were like new. I guess it will depend on how the scope has been treated and stored. I would not rule it out but definately try to have a look at the scope in person and ideally try it before committing.

John

I used to have a 10 year old C8 and the mirror coatings on that were like new.

John

That's encouraging John

I was guessing that a closed tube design would stand a better chance if stored correctly.

I was just unsure if a 23 year old scope could hold it's own after all those years.

Like you say I will have a peep if I can.

Cheers

Paul

...I was just unsure if a 23 year old scope could hold it's own after all those years.

Hi Paul,

I have it on good authority that the only Celestrons (and Meades for that matter) that need more than usual caution with their optics are from the Halley's Comet era (in the 12 months either side of the comets return in 1986). Many companies rushed scopes onto the market then because of huge marketing campaigns and widespread public interest and the QA was not all it might have been during that period.

Of course the todays coatings are probably a bit more effective than those of 20 years ago as well which might also be a consideration.

John

Archived