Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jovian Sunrise

ashenlight

Hi all,

According to my Sky at Night mag, Jupiter is lurking in the morning twilight, in the southeast, as a magnitude -2.0 dot just above the horison just before sunrise. I was wondering if anyone has managed to catch this gas giant in the morning hours? I have set my alarm for roughly 45 minutes before sunrise and waited.. and waited.. but the clouds are against me. Anyone had any luck with this Jovian sunrise?

As a heads up, on the 19th April at 11:00UT the 33% waning crescent moon will be closing in on Jupiter in daylight. Moon should be pretty easy to see, place it at the extreme right hand edge of your binocular FOV and Jupiter should be at the left as a bright star. (info courtesy of BBC Sky At Night magazine, April issue, p. 52) Should be a great sight aslong as the clouds play ball!

Clear skies,

Amanda

I've had a couple of attempts at getting a glimpse of Jupiter, but no luck.... clouded out both times. I'm not even sure it rises high enough at the moment for me to get a view of it anyway from my garden.:)

Thanks for the heads up, will definatley give that a look. :)

Archived