Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Working on a Horsehead image and wondering if anyone can tell me if there's a process in Pixinsight that can help me bring more contrast and colour into the dust below the horsehead. If I boost the curves it's there but it blows out everytrhing else. I tried a range mast and inverting it but couldn't get that to work. May not be possible but wanted to see if anyone had any technique they might suggest. 

Horse_ABE.tif

Horse_ABE.thumb.jpg.9f02137dae9db3a25ffc21c1dec99466.jpg

I had a bit of a play with your image and managed to get more of the dust to show by using a Luminance Mask. To create this is clicked on the button under "View" marked "Extract CIE L* component" and then use HistogramTransformation to highlight the parts I wanted to exclude. Then I used a blur mask to come up with this mask:

Horse_ABE_L.thumb.png.ad65747d93418979488346dc063e2853.png

This was then inverted, so I could work on the background and increase the RGB/K in Curves and this is the result:

Horse_ABE.thumb.png.b1734a7cb08ce3f28ea8daab7dec35b7.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

I had a bit of a play with your image and managed to get more of the dust to show by using a Luminance Mask. To create this is clicked on the button under "View" marked "Extract CIE L* component" and then use HistogramTransformation to highlight the parts I wanted to exclude. Then I used a blur mask to come up with this mask:

Horse_ABE_L.thumb.png.ad65747d93418979488346dc063e2853.png

This was then inverted, so I could work on the background and increase the RGB/K in Curves and this is the result:

Horse_ABE.thumb.png.b1734a7cb08ce3f28ea8daab7dec35b7.png

Thanks, I'll try that myself later. 

• Like 1