NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ultra grab and go- which one- TS 70ED f/6 ...or... TS 70 SD FPL53

Hi friends again!

Some further updates on the topic- just a small upgrade on the setup, just acquired the new red plate to accommodate the focuser blocking screw. Original plate is now on the opposite side,  as handle. Also I have removed the original M63 to 2" adapter with a M63 to M68 + Baader M68 diagonal together with short M68 to T2 adapter for T2/ binoviewer. All are rotating exactly on the right place with some small spacers.

The telescope is working now with binoviewer with 1.7 GPC only but I think will get in focus with 1.25 GPC, which is on the shopping list.

Following the small APO acquisition I have started to spend much more time for observations, either with binoviewer or with single eyepieces. There are 30min max observation sessions almost all evening with clear sky for bigger/ brighter DSO, Moon or planets

During the day the small APO with binoviewer and Morpheus 17.5 works as an absolutely phenomenal spotting scope

Very happy with the output and many thanks to all of you for your thoughts!

• Like 1

On 12/03/2023 at 00:31, Don Pensack said:

It is my observation over the years that 100mm is about the minimum visual instrument size for astronomy use (smaller works fine for terrestrial use).

I think 50-90mm scopes are fine for astrophotography, but simply don't have enough light grasp for deep sky, visually.

Nor do they have sufficient resolution to show small details on planets or moon well.

The question is, how can you make a 102mm scope a "Grab'n'Go".  I did it by putting it on a Stellarvue M2C mount on a wooden tripod with pier extension.

I define grab'n'go as when a scope can be lifted while still on the mount and carried outdoors for a near-instant setup.

And, at 71, I have no problem lifting 20kg and carrying it 20 meters to the yard.

I would never define my larger scope as a "grab'n'go"--maybe a "drive'n'go", LOL.

Don, I have listened to your advice and bought a William Optics plate on the other side of the 102 APO- one Vixen plate now, one for the video head. One (maybe strong) hand can take all at once 😀

Last evening I went for a longer observation session, outside of the city, for the first time without AZEQ6/ goto. Much easier, as long as it took only one trip for all- APO, tripod and video head + eyepieces, bino.

The video head handles surprisingly well the APO with binoviewer, even at 100x. It has to be blocked/ moved/ unblocked many times but as long as it is not windy and I don't touch the eyepieces, the view is super steady. Much more convenient/ faster to raise the tripod/ take it down vs an astronomical tripod. Verry happy with the Morpheus 17.5 (without eyecups), no need to touch the eyepieces

3 hours spent with another 2 friends, with my 102 APO, with SW 150ED and C8, great time!

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-22 at 16.43.27.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-22 at 16.43.48.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi friends!

Just came back from a short trip in the mountains, where I took for the first time the 72 APO.

The sky was pretty black but not 100% transparent; I wasn’t very inspired and took with me only 2 eyepieces, Lacerta 30mm ED (which was useless, too much light, sky not absolute black) and the APM XWA 13mm (the only one used, in fact).

The 72 APO was riding the Benro tripod and S8 video head (overmounted), and, as expected, very stable (at least for a video head)

I have observed few DSO and the Moon. The Moon was rising after the firs forest, incredible experience to see the craters between the twigs of the trees. This reminded me from my youth when I saw the same through a Russian binocular, amazing experience, with so many craters appearing and disappearing in seconds behind the trees, it is that magic moment when you see our planet, with all of the beings, being part of the whole universe.

I spent more time on M57. While being frustrated that I was not able to see anything at all from the city, here it was very easy. The classic donut unfocused was extremely easy to see, direct vision. Close to M57, there are 3 collinear stars, from 10 to 11 magnitude, which were visible, mostly indirect vision. The max magnitude for this scope from what I found on internet is around 11, hence I presume a more experienced person/ maybe a better sky could have led to even 11.5 to be visible

Next was Double cluster. While form the city was barely visible, here I had that magic feeling of diamonds on the black sky. Even if there are only 72mm, the dark sky has pointed out the magic of the double cluster. The best Double cluster I have seen was through my classic 120/600 achro with 13 APM XWA. Despite the much smaller aperture, the 72 did properly his job.

Next was Wild Duck. Very few stars were visible, together with the foggy shape behind. I went to M13, which was just a small dust in the sky. I am 100% sure that a smaller focal eyepiece would have pop out few stars, will try next time. Last M10 and Lagoon Nebula, easy visible and nice but without any other details. Before going to bed, I had a look to Saturn- very nice ring but too less power for any other details.

A lot of fun, easy logistics and sharp view for a small telescope!

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-07 at 20.50.08.jpg

• Like 2