Very basic slew question

woldsman

I’m getting into lunar after DSO. A very basic question about slewing to target. Do you use software or slew manually using a visual guidescope that is aligned to the main scope? I’m thinking the simplest approach is to polar align, target manually, and then set the mount to lunar tracking. You can’t plate solve  on The Moon and using something like Orbitals in NINA seems over-kill. Sorry if this question is too basic  but I’ve not found it covered elsewhere yet.

If you're using a Synscan or other proprietary GOTO mount then, in my mind, it's easy enough to polar align and two star align then use the handset to GOTO the Moon. I can't remember whether selecting the Moon or a planet will automatically cause Synscan to track at the appropriate rate, but as you say you can select that anyway.

At least if you set up like that you have some versatility to GOTO another object with ease.

But, there is no getting away from a spotting scope being a faster rout to getting the Moon in view, so long as it is aligned with the OTA.!!

I've never used a spotting scope for aligning on an object. Before getting a GOTO mount I used to just sight along the telescope tube! Rack-of-the-eye stylee :)

I only use cameras now so set up and align with plate solving. If I want to go to a solar system object using APT's GOTO++ function, I first have to grab the objects RA/DEC from a planetarium (HNSKY usually) and send it to APT as a custom object. then APT can take the scope there. It only takes a few key presses; takes longer to describe than do!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, woldsman said:

I’m getting into lunar after DSO. A very basic question about slewing to target. Do you use software or slew manually using a visual guidescope that is aligned to the main scope? I’m thinking the simplest approach is to polar align, target manually, and then set the mount to lunar tracking. You can’t plate solve  on The Moon and using something like Orbitals in NINA seems over-kill. Sorry if this question is too basic  but I’ve not found it covered elsewhere yet.

I feel you are over-thinking this. Just aim the telescope using the GoTo (Planet button, then Moon with most GoTo mounts), fine adjust the aim and then take a video as per the usual planetary imaging procedure (or a single still, if you prefer).  The exposure time will be measured in milliseconds, so there is no need to bother your head about sidereal or lunar tracking rate - either will do.

• Like 3

I used to use GS Server/ Cartes du Ciel and slew/ track that way but found my mount had a habit of wandering off target.

I have recently returned to the Syscan handset- go through the initialisation, select Moon, once slewing has finished, refine with the Syscan controls and all is then good.

From switching on to data capture- 5 minutes or so.

• Thanks 1