Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone here from Lincoln?

stephec

I'll be stopping there next Thursday and am thinking of taking my little Celestron First Scope with me. 

Could you recommend somewhere upto 15 minutes drive from the city centre that would be a good place to observe from? 

5 hours ago, stephec said:

I'll be stopping there next Thursday and am thinking of taking my little Celestron First Scope with me. 

Could you recommend somewhere upto 15 minutes drive from the city centre that would be a good place to observe from? 

Lincoln is very bright you won't reach a dark site in 15 mins drive. 

• Like 1

If you can get out to the east of Lincoln there are Bortle 4 areas (the greener the better) but you’ll have to do a bit of Google Map searching for an exact spot within that class as shown in the attached. You’ll be looking at a BFD535EB-093E-4538-A87B-9875D6770325.thumb.png.33f60d05d9e2a705880dc9180a05f1d2.png27688A91-E8F2-419D-BDCC-5D52F8C298FA.thumb.png.e7b291a09bc1c4fa50b5fcdad9c0affe.png30mins drive or so. 

hope this helps….the LP app is free by the way and you can zoom right in to find a site. 

Edited by PadrePeace
  • Like 1

I haven't tried night time from Lincoln but fully agree with @Adam J

From driving around there, I think head north on the A15, then go west towards (but not that far) Sturton By Stow you may have good fortune.

Of course your definition of dark depends on the pollutuion you suffer at home.
North of Lincoln feels like it ought to be better than Salford.

If you are around on the right days, you might want to look in at Lincoln Astro society.

HTH, David.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, living between Manchester and Bolton I'm used to light pollution, I was just hoping that I could get some slight better viewing conditions down there, but unfortunately now a change of plans means I probably won't be there after all.