Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Altair 102 ED Starwave Ascent refractor update

fwm891

I started using this refractor for visual and gave a short review (

I've been quite pleased with results so far from the 102 Ascent. I started using it with an ASI585 MC uncooled camera and initially I was unsure whether it was the camera or the 102 that was giving me the clarity or the small pixels of the 585. No evidence of chomatic aberations  but then I'm working at prime focus not trying to push mags with extra optics. Later I've got myself a Hypercam 26C. With this I'm using a Baader MPCC MkIII coma corrector as I didn't think the 102 would be that well corrected with an APS-C format sensor. I've not tried it without the MPCC MkIII as with limited sky time it seemed pointless.

I guess the best thing to do is put up a couple of images taken with this set-up:

IC434 and the flame nebula was almost the first target with the 26C. Taken through a Baader UV/IR cut filter (not sure why as the camera has one built in!) comprised 8x 300s gain quite low as I was unsure of the settings.

IC443 (or 'The Dog nebula') as I now see it. Captured through an IDAS  NBZ filter, 23x 300s subs used and processed in PI a quite bright moon present over the two nights of capture.

NGC 2264 area, Similar specs to IC443.

M1 The Crab nebula. Taken on the ASi585MC with a mix of UV/IR cut filtration and IDAS NBZ filters. Processing in PI with a tweak in PS-CS3 for saturation.

Not a long review but hopefully the images will do more meaningfull talking than myself.

Hope it helps

IC434_and Flame nebula_UVIR_AA26C_AA120ED_crop.png

Image34_PS.png

NGC2264_RGB_Combo.png

M-001_Mix_RGB_NB.png

Edited by fwm891
link added
  • Like 7