NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mount , what mount ?

So I have just purchased a 6” classical cassegrain (6kg) ,( lovely scope) and I have my ED80(5kg)  but I do not have a mount for them . I am 90% visual so generally speaking tracking isn’t required. What mount do I get ? 
Now I am not a newcomer here but the choice , although restrained a bit by finances , makes it difficult to decide . 
My options 

EQ5 , manual ( which can be upgraded) 

Skytee 2 , with steel tripod 

Az-GTix the new dual saddled mount from SW ( yes I know the two scopes weigh around 11kgs) but it can be used with just one scope . 

The trusty AZ4 ! 

An  EQ3-2 goto , lightweight, convenience of goto bit just about on the limits for weight . Also the way those mounts “scream” when moving in the dead of night may be a problem as our neighbour has two small kids .

anyway , thoughts please on the above  much appreciated 

kind regards 

Stu 

Skytee II on steel tripod and half pillar, that way you can mount both your scopes and have double the fun. But for high power lunar/planetary/double star type viewing a mount that tracks in RA is very handy, so in that instance and EQ5 with a single axis RA motor would do the trick.

I had the same dilemma with my scopes and ended up biting the bullet and getting an Alt-az and an EQ. Must admit though, the Alt-az gets more use for those quick sessions between the clouds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Franklin said:

Skytee II on steel tripod and half pillar, that way you can mount both your scopes and have double the fun. But for high power lunar/planetary/double star type viewing a mount that tracks in RA is very handy, so in that instance and EQ5 with a single axis RA motor would do the trick.

I had the same dilemma with my scopes and ended up biting the bullet and getting an Alt-az and an EQ. Must admit though, the Alt-az gets more use for those quick sessions between the clouds.

Many thanks and to be honest my thoughts really , I kind of want the skytee as it’s a really solid piece of kit but as you write the EQ5 with motors , NOT goto, is probably the best choice overall .. I must add though , weight is an issue as I am trying to  keep things as practical and light as possible ( not easy with the scopes I have as they demand stability and that usually means weight ) , the EQ5 is fairly manageable as I remember .

I use an EQ5 with RA & Dec motors. Fairly easy to lift, even with my slipped disc.

For any kind of high power planetary you need tracking. So much easier just to study the object instead of having to tweak or nudge all the time.

• Like 2

Hi Stu. My two pennorth, for what its worth.

Look for a tripod first. The heaviest/strongest you can find, or lift.

Alternatively, are you able to put a pillar in the garden? Location SWMBO, etc.
Disguised as a bird feeder or bird bath in daylight hours🤣
I saw a picture of a pillar with mount that thad a fibreglass mock dovecote on top.
A Norfolk member used to have a roll off tardis in his garden covering an imaging rig. It looked great - well I thought so.

Good luck with the decisions and searching. David.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

I use an EQ5 with RA & Dec motors. Fairly easy to lift, even with my slipped disc.

For any kind of high power planetary you need tracking. So much easier just to study the object instead of having to tweak or nudge all the time.

Yes I agree , and it makes perfect sense as the 6”cc ‘s forte is planetary .