NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Installing a ZWO EAF to a Stella Lyra 10 inch RC with OEM Crayford

Tomatobro

To fit the EAF unit I had to make up some parts as follows.

Removing the focus knob means you loose the bearing support on that side. The pen points to the area that sits inside the focus housing and offers support to the shaft so I turned up out of brass a flanged collar to sit inside the housing to support the Crayford shaft. You can just see the brass collar in the centre of one of the pictures.

The shaft is 4.2 mm in diameter and non of the four flexible couplings provided in the ZWO kit matched up, the closest being 4mm so this coupling was drilled out to 4.2 mm to match the Crayford shaft.

The curved body of the focuser housing require four 6.5 mm stand offs to all a flat plate to be bolted on using the Stella Lyra focuser 3mm screws. This plate was drilled and tapped for two M4 cap head screws to fasten the ZWO angle plate too.

It was a bit more involved than I thought it would be but the EAF performs very well and is very quiet in operation with very fine adjustments possible.

IMG_20230210_153521.jpg

IMG_20230210_153536.jpg

IMG_20230210_153842.jpg

• Like 1