NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

FF/R on ST80

So, I'm using my ST80 to guide but since buying my Stellamira triplet my old faithful ED80 is not getting much use, considering selling to help fund a 2600mc or 26c. Now, would it work putting my Altair .8 reducer on my st80 to bring it down to a 320mm and f3.9? Or is that a dumb idea? 

14 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

So, I'm using my ST80 to guide but since buying my Stellamira triplet my old faithful ED80 is not getting much use, considering selling to help fund a 2600mc or 26c. Now, would it work putting my Altair .8 reducer on my st80 to bring it down to a 320mm and f3.9? Or is that a dumb idea? 

No harm as far as function goes, but no benefit either.

Only thing that might be slightly worse is added weight on ST80 focuser, so there might be some tilt introduced - but for guiding, that won't matter as well as guide camera has small sensor.

1 minute ago, vlaiv said:

No harm as far as function goes, but no benefit either.

Only thing that might be slightly worse is added weight on ST80 focuser, so there might be some tilt introduced - but for guiding, that won't matter as well as guide camera has small sensor.

Just wondered if making it slightly faster might be helpful. If not then I'll probably package the FF/R with the scope. 

In one way I'm kinda reluctant to sell the ED80 as it's an old one with good glass, newer ones seem to have some unnamed glass, although probably just as good. 

I'm a bit of a hoarder, need to kick that habit. 

If you're not short of cash or storage space, go ahead and hold onto that ED80 and FF/R for a bit.

I'm a bit of a hoarder myself (don't ask).  However, it saved me this weekend.  My upgraded receiver for my stereo system suddenly died (went into protection mode), so I swapped in my old one that I was getting ready to sell.  It turns out, it works well enough to hold me over until I can figure out my next step to replace or repair the upgrade one.

I'm not saying your new triplet APO is going to "die" at some point, but something else could happen to it (dropped, stolen, fungus, etc.).

54 minutes ago, Louis D said:

If you're not short of cash or storage space, go ahead and hold onto that ED80 and FF/R for a bit.

I'm a bit of a hoarder myself (don't ask).  However, it saved me this weekend.  My upgraded receiver for my stereo system suddenly died (went into protection mode), so I swapped in my old one that I was getting ready to sell.  It turns out, it works well enough to hold me over until I can figure out my next step to replace or repair the upgrade one.

I'm not saying your new triplet APO is going to "die" at some point, but something else could happen to it (dropped, stolen, fungus, etc.).

Or I could build another pier. lol