SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bresser 127

4 hours ago, Ricochet said:

No, they are not. The aperture of a Mak is the size of the front corrector plate, not the primary mirror. The corrector plate on a Mak causes the light rays to diverge, meaning that the primary mirror must be larger than the corrector plate in order to retain the full aperture. It is well known that the Synta Maks use a primary mirror that is the same size as the corrector plate, which is the cause of their reduced effective aperture, while the JOC Maks use a primary mirror that is larger than the front corrector. We know this because people have taken their telescopes apart and measured the components.

Well you best tell every supplier that they have got it wrong.

37 minutes ago, Astro74 said:

I think it’s well known tbh 

Apart from the suppliers! I have looked into this in detail over the previous day and I now conclude that the JOC (Bresser) 127 Maksutov does indeed have a slightly larger mirror. I can’t comprehend how all the suppliers don’t state the specifications accurately. Anyway you are obviously ahead of the curve on this and chosen the better choice IMHO.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

Apart from the suppliers! I have looked into this in detail over the previous day and I now conclude that the JOC (Bresser) 127 Maksutov does indeed have a slightly larger mirror. I can’t comprehend how all the suppliers don’t state the specifications accurately. Anyway you are obviously ahead of the curve on this and chosen the better choice IMHO.

Yea thanks, I spent months researching it and the chaps at Rother Valley Optics and FLO were on the ball and gave me expert advice. I am building myself a bespoke rig so felt it important to do my homework. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Both the mirrors are the same size as is the aperture. It’s just that the Skywatcher doesn’t utilize the entire mirror due to its optical design. 
The Bresser specs below show a 127mm mirror the same as the SW

72A661AD-3AFE-446E-87C6-C8892CB7ED8C.png

In the case of a Mak, objective diameter refers to the front corrector plate, not the primary mirror diameter, so FLO got it right.

• Like 1

As for which to choose, I went twice with the Synta 127 Maks because I used to be able to pick them up used for $200 shipped off of CN classifieds here in the US.  Now, they tend to fetch $300 to $350 which is still quite a bit cheaper than new, if you can find one in stock.

The ES/Bresser 127 Maks never come up used here in the states, and I'm not about to start buying new now at today's inflated prices and 25% special tariff.