SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet C/2023 E3 (ZTF) 3/02/2023

NenoVento

I wasn't expecting to see, being this late in the game, it but gave it a go anyway with my EEVA setup:

36160528_WhatsAppImage2023-02-03at22_25_30.thumb.jpeg.e104efd16c3be69376a492a089fc46da.jpeg

I did play with SharpCap LiveStack capabilities, but after stacking two or three images you could see a thin line instead of a round point of light (it is amazing how fast it moves!).

The gear:

• Celestron C8 XLT
  • Sky-Watcher HEQ5
  • IDAS LPS-D3
  • ZWO 355MC Pro

The software:

• CdC
  • EQMOD
  • SharpCap
  • PHD

Thanks for looking,

NV

• Like 8

Nice! I keep meaning to try for the comet but it's been behind the house so far. It's emerging now though so I just need a clear night.

The next version of SharpCap, v4.1 which is available as a beta release, has a feature for tracking comets so that the stars become lines instead of the comet. I've downloaded it and it seems to work fine alongside my existing v4.0.

• Like 2

On 04/02/2023 at 11:01, PeterC65 said:

The next version of SharpCap, v4.1 which is available as a beta release, has a feature for tracking comets so that the stars become lines instead of the comet. I've downloaded it and it seems to work fine alongside my existing v4.0.

I downloaded the SharpCap 4.1 beta and tried it out last night on three comets.  To my disappointment, I could not try the comet-tracking feature as it insisted a Pro license was required, despite some text indicating that one could try out NEW Pro features without a license.  I suppose I ought to buy one just to support the software creators.

4.1 also made a pig's ear of saving the comet image files in the right folders.

Yes, it is a beta, but I will stick with 4.0

Edited by Cosmic Geoff

4 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I downloaded the SharpCap 4.1 beta and tried it out last night on three comets.  To my disappointment, I could not try the comet-tracking feature as it insisted a Pro license was required, despite some text indicating that one could try out NEW Pro features without a license.  I suppose I ought to buy one just to support the software creators.

4.1 also made a pig's ear of saving the comet image files in the right folders.

Yes, it is a beta, but I will stick with 4.0

I have a Pro license for SharpCap (£12 per year) and consider it well worth it. Robin, who is the author, is very responsive to feedback. He has answered all of my questions about the product and has even made a bug fix for me. Well worth supporting.

I haven't tried v4.1 in anger but as you say it is a beta release and so will still have some niggles.