Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bortle 7 filter question, Antlia ALP T

900SL

Hi

Am I likely to see a big difference in overall exposure time, contrast and noise between a IDAS NBZ duoband (10 nm) and an Antlia ALP T (5 nm)?  I understand Oiii is generally improved at tighter bandpasses?

My imaging location is either Bortle 7 or Bortle 4.

I currently have the IDAS NBZ. Clear nights are few and far between here at the moment so if the Antlia would make a significant difference I might switch, otherwise I'll stick with the NBZ which seems to work well for Ha and Oiii

An interesting thing about bandpass is that broader does not seem to be faster. My Astrodon 3nm Ha gives a better result in the time than my 7nm Baader. This may be down to its better transmission but not necessarily. In principle a luminance or a red filter passes the same amount of Ha as an Ha filter. The Ha's advantage lies not in what it passes but in what it blocks. A tight bandpass may block more of what you don't want.

Olly

On 02/02/2023 at 11:06, ollypenrice said:

An interesting thing about bandpass is that broader does not seem to be faster. My Astrodon 3nm Ha gives a better result in the time than my 7nm Baader. This may be down to its better transmission but not necessarily. In principle a luminance or a red filter passes the same amount of Ha as an Ha filter. The Ha's advantage lies not in what it passes but in what it blocks. A tight bandpass may block more of what you don't want.

Olly

Thanks Ollie. I found a formula for the improvement in S/N and going from a 10nm NBZ to a 5nm Askar should give me a 1.4 X improvement. Now ordered :)

• Like 1