NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Equipment recommendations?

chubster1302

Evening/morning all.

Looking to get back into imaging after a long absence. Used to have a Celestron C8 ( I think it was) and a EQ5 mount, bought from the classifieds on here. Never had great skies as I was based in a tiny garden in Surrey but now I'm fortunate enough to have amazing skies,  bortle 3, and unobstructed views in Southern Spain, so time to start again.

What would be considered a good setup for deep sky imaging now?

I've not got a "fortune" to spend but also don't want to be wanting for more 6 months down the line. 

The only things I currently possess are a Nikon D7000 and D7100, will these handle the camera side of things? I was using a toucam previously.

So, scope and mount recommendations please 🙏 

Many thanks

Chubster 

No expert, but I believe guys who use a scope like yours tend to use some form of focal reducer when imaging faint deep sky objects.  The long focal length of the C8 will make it great for planetary work where magnification is needed.

Personally I think your EQ5 mount will struggle with the C8 plus camera and a guide scope of some description.  For imaging the max payload would be around 6-7kg and the C8 is around 5.5 to 6kg so you are already on that limit without the extra equipment.  But you do have excellent skies so exposures needn't be too long.  I would suggest the tried and trusted HEQ5 would be the ideal mount.  It's load capacity, precision, and affordability both new and second hand  would be able to handle the C8 etc just fine.  Budget around £200 for a small guidescope / guide camera package, and £30 for an EQDIR cable to hook the mount up to a PC for control.  Software wise, most packages are free, or just a few ££ for an annual subscription.  Sharpcap, Cartes du Ciel, EQMOD or GSServer, APT and PHD2 are just some options, but other planetarium software is available.  The PC to control the mount needn't be a powerful one, but to stack the results in something like Deep sky stacker (again free) and then process the result does need a PC with some umph...

Now as we all have our own opinions and hopefully others will chime in here and make other recommendations.  There may be flatteners, correctors and focal reduces they can recommend.  I don't have a C8 so can't really advise on that part. 

• Like 1

I recommend that you buy and read the book "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards (available from FLO).  That could save you from spending a lot of money on unsuitable kit.

The general outline of what is needed for deep-sky imaging is well established, though different people will have their own opinions about the details.

• Like 1

Cheers for the responses guys. Yes, sorry, should have made myself clearer. I don't have the c8 or eq5 mount anymore, that was more of a guidance of what I've spent before for budget purposes. 

Here is what I'm thinking currently.

William Optics RedCat 51II with a Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer GTi mount.

It'd be decent. If you want to start off even cheaper and faster acquire a used Samyang 135mm F2/T2.2 lens and pair it with an astro camera for lovely and deep widefield. At a push you could probably use it with your current camera.

Do you have a spare computer already for image acquisition and mount control?

Edited by Elp

I need to read posts a second time... I thought you had a C8 / EQ5....

Maybe if you elaborated on the targets you want to image, and what you budget is then it might narrow down recommendations.  Or simply browse through the forum for similar posts where people are after suggestions for gear needed

• Like 1

The basic choice is between widefield at lower resolution (usually nebulae) or restricted field at higher resolution (usually galaxies and planetaries.) High resolution is more expensive because you need a more accurate mount and, usually, a larger telescope. It is also more difficult because errors as well as objects are shown in more detail and because, as well as good sky transparency, you need good seeing.

If you go for widefield then a smallish apochromatic refractor is the easiest because it ought to work out of the box. Buy from a supplier who will replace it without fuss if it doesn't.

I have never been a fan of the DSLR for imaging and am even less of a fan since dedicated, cooled CMOS cameras out perform even CCDs and do so at a lower price. In Spain this is going to matter.

Mono or colour? At a dark site, colour works well and modern CMOS colour cameras are far better than colour CCDs used to be. 

Olly

• Like 1