SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New settings yielding promising results

I recently carried out sharpcap sensor calibration for my badly light poluted garden, consequently I have dramatically shortened my exposure time and I am so far feeling pretty optimistic. 2 minutes to 15 seconds as default.

Now both images below have just less than 1 hours total integration which can be clearly seen from the noise in the image, this is clearly expected with so little data.

However what I also did was to run a comparison of similar integration time using exposure times of two minutes, my previous default and I have found the results are tidier. Tighter stars being the main thing but less gunk within the results. 

I aim to try and get  a decent amount of like for like data (4 hours plus) to show a direct comparison and put up some results to show hopefully that the optimisation works.

I would incidentally be interested to hear from anyone else who uses the same.

Steve

1513917529_deerlick29.1_23.thumb.png.e322f2a761fd9e81304174249ec12605.png

1481890852_iristest15second.thumb.png.a376492c011f037656b8ef20570edcee.png

I would certainly be interested in your results. I currently run 2 min subs, but the theory tells me I should be looking at much lower. I have thought about reducing further, but the amount of data it would produce per image would be pretty serious. A full night session is already about 10 Gb and takes a lot of number crunching.

I think I'm going to need a bigger drive......

12 hours ago, Clarkey said:

I would certainly be interested in your results. I currently run 2 min subs, but the theory tells me I should be looking at much lower. I have thought about reducing further, but the amount of data it would produce per image would be pretty serious. A full night session is already about 10 Gb and takes a lot of number crunching.

I think I'm going to need a bigger drive......

I will keep you abreast of my results once I havea decent data grab. I calculated that a 6 hour data grab would be circa 60gb in size.

That is some processing pile not to mention the data transfer itself from the asiair will be an overnight job.