NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Upgrade camera suggestions

Andrew*

Considering getting an upgrade to my Atik 2-HS, as I have realised how limited one is with an 8-bit camera.

I also want a few more pixels for larger field and larger pics - 740x1024 would be nice.

Any suggestions welcomed, and an idea of price I will have to pay for this spec.

Cheers

Andrew

I must say I am quite impressed with my Orion imager, it's a Cooled CCD. I have the mono one but there is a colour one as well. The price is around the £300 mark. The other option would be a Meade DSI but these are uncooled although Meade claim they have solved the cooling problem, somehow.....

At these prices a DSLR is a pretty good option as well!

Hmmm.... I'm kind of wanting a dedicated CCD for good Ha response, noise-control and also because I've already got filterwheels and the like.....

But a modded DSLR might also fit the bill I suppose...

Andrew

Well if you want to stretch a bit, then it has to be the Atik 314L, or something else with the Sony 285 chip.

I am hoping to get one of these soon ;)

I think this is a camera that you wont grow out of in a hurry.

Of course the DSLR route is a good option, but I have found that within a year, I feel that it is not sensitive enough.

Archived