Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ngc 4236 in Draco - WIP

wimvb

ngc4236 is a spiral galaxy in Draco, situated about 15 million lightyears distant. This galaxy is rarely imaged with addition of Ha, so I thought I'd give that a go.

So far 3 hours of RGB, 2 hours Ha and 3 hours L

Gear: SW 190MN with ASI294MM camera

Processed in PI

The colour data is still quite thin, and I plan to at least double what I already have, as soon as it clears up.

ngc4236_LHaRGB_crop.thumb.jpg.0c92efb9759ad979d1d759ba81e622db.jpg

• Like 15

24 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Looking good already!

The outer parts are seriously faint, i have over 20 hours on it and honestly its still not very good looking. With an OSC and mostly under Moonlight though so not the best combination.

It certainly is faint. Some time ago, @gorann caught this galaxy "by accident" as he was hunting for planetary nebulae with his RASA. RASA makes it look so easy. 😉

https://www.astrobin.com/p7ycko/B/

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wimvb said:

It certainly is faint. Some time ago, @gorann caught this galaxy "by accident" as he was hunting for planetary nebulae with his RASA. RASA makes it look so easy. 😉

https://www.astrobin.com/p7ycko/B/

Oh no the horror of accidental galaxy imaging...

Speaking of that, there is a cluster of fairly distant and reddish galaxies nicely to the right from the top of NGC4236 that are already making an appearance in your image. I forget what the distances were as it was a while ago i last dumped hours on this but it may have been up to a billion ly.

2 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

may have been up to a billion ly.

2 billion, or 680 Mpc. I had already checked. There are several other galaxies, but there isn't any information besides a catalogue number.

Edited by wimvb