Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

comet c/2022 e3 (ztf)

ninjageezer

Sort of all depends on your scope / camera combo and sky conditions.

I have pretty dark skies, which makes the whole thing easier obviously. I used similar sub length to shooting DSOs - although the core is very bright, the tail isn't. No filter for me (apart from built-in IR in the camera). I guess a LPF would help if you do have LP, but I'm no expert on that. Certainly not narrowband anyway.

Processing is tricky as the comet moves differently to the stars. I use Pixinsight which has some tools to try and manage this (CometAlign process in particular).

• Like 1

As Fegato says, this all depends on location as well as fl, camera etc, determining pixel scale and field of view. Using 650mm and a scale of 1.44", I took this image the other night using 60 seconds subs and running through RGBRGBRGB.... in 15 minute blocks before moving the scope to push the comet back to where i wanted it on the screen. Its not the best and i hope to improve next time, but remember the comet is moving fast across the screen so give plenty margin around the comet so that when you align stars, and then the comet, there is enough surrounding sky (unlike here). 

C_2022_E3_ZTF.jpg

• Like 3