NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New EP for star party

Hi, i will be attending the star party in a couple of weeks carnt wait. my first scope is a celestron c6-s on a cg5 mount motor driven i have two eps 25mm celestron and a meade 9.7 mm 2x tal barlow i want to buy a new ep but just carnt decide what make,magnification to go for i like to view deep sky and planetary stuff, i also plane to buy a power tank and dew heater for the party but would it be wise to wait till i get there and then ask people for some guidance and possibly have a look through some eps to help me make a decision , i was thinking around £50-100 limit thanks ,Luke

I think a 14mm one of these would be nice for you.

Offers 107x for medium magnification - that'll be nice on planetary nebulae and globular clusters. For planets, you can put the barlow in between and gain a decent, but quite reasonable high-power of 214x. Also, it's FOV of 60° is quite pleasant compared to the 50° of your plossls.

For a really nice FOV, though, you could try one of these in 15mm. Ask around for some opinions of this eyepiece in an f/10 scope. I have a feeling it will work rather well in your scope, although at f/5 it wouldn't be so good....

Andrew

I'd wait until the star party Luke and try some different eyepieces with your scope! I'd buy a power pack and dew heater first though - the last thing you want is to be dewed up.

Helen

Archived